Position Type: Full Time, Salary
Location: Liberty Village, Toronto
Start Date: July 28, 2015
Application Deadline: May 28, 2015
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5:00 PM on THURSDAY MAY 28, 2015
Artscape is currently seeking a qualified individual as Director of Finance and Administration.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Finance and Administration is an integral member of the senior management team, responsible for providing leadership and direction on senior management issues, as well as day-to-day management of the finance, information technology, and administration functions for the organization. This position will build and sustain the capacity of the finance and administration department and provide exemplary stewardship through the establishment, monitoring and improvement of accounting, finance, IT and administrative systems and procedures. The Director of Finance and Administration role will: focus on planning, implementing and managing the finance, IT and administration functions; develop and lead the execution and monitoring of the finance, IT and administration plan; and effectively supervise the accounting and administration staff team.
The Artscape group of companies includes: Toronto Artscape Inc. (a non-for-profit property development and management organization), Artscape Foundation (a registered charity) and Artscape Non-Profit Homes Inc. (an affordable housing provider), with a combined operating budget of over $ 12 million annually. Artscape has six capital projects in development over the next three years ranging in budget size from $ 2 million to $ 33 million. The Artscape finance team also manages the accounts for a residential condominium corporation, a commercial condominium corporation, and Regent Park Arts Development, a joint venture of which Artscape is a partner.
Reports to: President
Direct Reports: Accounting Manager, Operations Coordinator
Indirect Reports: Senior Accounting Coordinator, Accounting Coordinator, third party IT contractor
- Oversees and directs the financial management of all Artscape companies and related entities, including the annual budget cycle, monthly and quarterly reviews and revisions, and reports regularly, through the President, to the Board of Directors and its Audit and Finance Sub-Committee
- Forecasts and manages cash flow, including receivables and payables management, and financing, when appropriate
- Directs the financial flow and reporting between Artscape’s various entities
- Manages the financial records and reporting for all capital projects, including budget review, cash flow planning, construction financing and take-out mortgages
- Ensures that all remittances, including HST and other government requirements, are current
- Oversees the annual audit process for all Artscape companies
- Supervises the general HR/Finance functions such as employment contracts, payroll, group health benefits, expense processes, processing new hires and terminations, health and safety training and fulfillment of other HR practices as outlined in Artscape’s Human Resources policies
- Oversees the general administration of the organization, including IT systems and hardware, Customer Relationship Management software, employee training, insurance, equipment purchases and leases, and the overall functionality of Artscape
- 5 years’ prior experience as Finance Director/Manager or similar role with similar type and size of organization
- 5 - 10 years’ experience in financial management, in particular in the development, monitoring and reporting on the financial status of the organization and its various strategic and programmatic initiatives, including timely income/expense statements, cash flow projections and monitoring and annual budget development process
- Previous financial management experience with capital projects, including managing capital budgets, cash flow forecasting and financing
- 3 - 5 years’ financing placement experience, including lines of credit, bridge loans, mortgages and other forms of debt, including sourcing, placing and reporting on these loans.
- Experience in the fields of affordable housing, charities and not-for-profits considered an asset
- 3 - 5 years’ experience in organizational administration and IT systems
- Prior experience in managing the human resource function, contract management and payroll
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing staff members
- Post-secondary education in Accounting, with the completion of a recognized accounting designation such as CA, CGA, CMA
- Courses or certificates in financial management for not-for-profit organizations, human resource management, and IT are considered an asset
Professional Expertise & Skills:
- Strong financial management acumen; knowledge of accounting procedures and protocols, budget administration and financial forecasting, analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities, charitable status including CRA regulations in Canada
- Strong experience in the automation of the accounting function, including revenue collection, payments and reporting; advanced proficiency with financial management systems such as AccPac.
- Strong human resource management expertise with a demonstrated ability to supervise and mentor staff and inspire credibility, confidence and build consensus
- Strong project management experience; ability to develop, monitor and evaluate multiple projects with multiple deliverables and deadlines
- Ability to plan, organize and lead the implementation of plans and processes
- Some exposure to the social enterprise model in which Artscape functions considered an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to provide leadership to a team and to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated capacity to think strategically with expertise in complex problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills, displays good judgment
- Effective at proactively assessing and resolving conflicts
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- High comfort and tolerance to manage stress and role demands
- Has interpersonal qualities necessary to generate enthusiasm, integrity and build consensus with direct reports and staff members
- Supports and promotes a culture that embraces diversity and the inclusion of all, one in which convergent and divergent ideas and perspectives are respected, valued and considered, and one in which forms of abuse of power and oppression are proactively minimized and eliminated
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 5:00 PM on THURSDAY MAY 28, 2015
FIRST INTERVIEW DATE: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM on MONDAY JUNE 8, 2015
Salary is negotiable commensurate with experience. Artscape offers an employee health benefits package.
TO APPLY: Please respond with a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position, your salary expectations and a resume. Submissions that do not include a salary expectation will not be considered.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email only:
Attention: Human Resources, Director of Finance and Administration Submission
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line, as follows: LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION)