Position Type: Director of Fund Development
Location: Artscape Head Office, 171 East Liberty Street, Suite 224, Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
Start Date: Summer 2016 Application Deadline: June 10, 2016, 12:00 PM
Artscape is a successful urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Our work culsters creative people together in real estate projects that serve the needs of the arts and cultural community and advance multiple public policy objectives, private development interests, community and neighbourhood aspirations and philanthropic missions. We collaborate with a broad network of partners and supporters to leverage the power of the arts, culture and creativity to drive a broader agenda for change, growth and transformation in a way that also builds character and quality of place.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Fund Development will be an integral member of the organization's senior management team, responsible for raising funds from public and private sources. They will direct and oversee the day-to-day management and implementation of a suite of integrated and expanding annual and capital campaigns, including three annual signature fundraising events. This portfolio is expected to raise over $5 M in cash in 2016 from all three levels of government, public foundations and agencies, private foundations and individuals, as well as the corporate sector. The Director of Fund Development works closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Campaign Cabinet, board and committee senior level volunteers to deliver on fundraising objectives. The role presents a tremendous opportunity for an innovative and results driven fundraising professional to contribute to and help realize Artscape's ambitious plans and vision.
The Artscape group of companies includes: Toronto Artscape Inc. (a not-for-profit property development and management organization), Toronto Artscape Foundation (a registered charity), Artscape Non-Profit Homes Inc. (an affortable housing provider) and four additional corporations with a combined operating budget of over $12M annually. Artscape has six capital projects in development over the next three years ranging in budget size from $2M to $27M.
• Oversee the development and execution of all fundraising strategies including: capital campaigns; designated funding in support of additional projects/programs/services; an undesignated annual campaign and special fundraising events
• Lead integration of prospect ID, research, cultivation and solicitation, and reporting and stewardship strategies across campaigns
• CFRE of comparable professional certification is considered an asset
• Strong computer skill; facility with Microsoft Office and CRM platforms (preferably Salesforce)
• Meticulous and detail oriented
• Polished and professional style
• Agile and adaptive approach; flexible and able to manage through complexity
• Collaborative team player with interpersonal qualities necessary to generate enthusiasm and build consensus with direct reports, staff members, external partners and supporters
• Personable relationship manager who confidently acts with tact, diplomacy and integrity
• Creative and innovative thinker who will conceive and implement new ideas
• High comfort and tolerance to manage stress and role demands
• Ability to attend early morning and evening meetings, and some evening events required
Artscape offers an employee health benefits package for this position. Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: June 10, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Please respond with:
a) a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position
b) your salary expectations
c) a resume
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email only and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources, Director of Fund Development Artscape Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street Toronto, ON M6K 3P6 email@example.com (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
All email submissions will receive a message confirming receipt. No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is a not-for-profit urban development organization that makes space for creativity and transforms communities. Since its beginning in 1986, Artscape has become recognized as an international leader in creative placemaking, a practice that leverages the power of art, culture and creativity to catalyze change, growth and transformation in communities. Artscape achieves its mission through developing and managing 10 unique cultural facilities—including community cultural hubs, multi-purpose creative spaces and artist live/work projects—and by delivering programs and services that create the conditions for artists to thrive.
Every day, Artscape spaces come alive with the ideas and passion of the 116 organizations and 2,300+ people who work and/or live within our portfolio of buildings. Thirty-two public venues pulse with the energy of the 247,000+ people who take part in exhibitions and performances annually and the thousands more who participate in our programs, tenant-driven activities and city-wide events. Every year, we deliver a plethora of benefits including millions in economic savings to the community. Over the past year these benefits included:
• $3.6 million in savings passed on to Artscape artists and organizations on annual commercial and residential occupancy costs
• Rental rates for artists and not-for-profit organizations 58% lower than gross average rates for commercial spaces in downtown and midtown
• Over $1 million in annual subsidies to community groups and not-for-profit organizations to access Artscape event venue spaces
Our success is driven by our ability to work effectively across disciplines to align values, leadership, investment and public policy. We work constantly to expand our portfolio, share our expertise and advance the field, offering training, mentoring and coaching, and learning opportunities through our Creative Placemaking Lab and tools and resources on ArtscapeDIY.ca . Get all the details on upcoming creative placemaking initiatives in Momentum, our latest annual publication available on our website artscape.ca