Application Deadline: September 9, 2016
Location: Toronto – Cabbagetown
Start Date: October 11, 2016
Toronto Dance Theatre (TDT) is seeking a Marketing and Communications Manager to join its administrative team. This is a full-time position with benefits.
TDT is one of Canada’s leading contemporary dance companies, recognized for the intelligent, provocative vision of its choreography and the exceptional artistry of its dancers. Founded in 1968 by Peter Randazzo, Patricia Beatty and David Earle, and under the artistic direction of Christopher House since 1994, Toronto Dance Theatre has produced a remarkable body of original Canadian choreography and has had– and continues to have– a profound influence on the development of dance in Canada. The company performs annually at Toronto’s Harbourfront Centre and at the company’s own Winchester Street Theatre in Cabbagetown, where it shares its home with the affiliated School of Toronto Dance Theatre. The company maintains a regular presence from coast to coast in Canada, and has toured extensively in the USA, Europe and Asia.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the Marketing and Communications Manager is engaged in all aspects of the company’s marketing, publicity and outreach efforts.
Responsibilities - Marketing
• Plan and implement all marketing and publicity campaigns within a fixed budget
• Manage the production of all marketing and publicity materials, including brochures, flyers, posters, newsletters, ads (print and digital), media releases, and performance programs
• Coordinate the dissemination of all marketing materials (mailings, postering etc.) and prepare all lobby displays
• Promote TDT across all social media outlets, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Analyze and report on tickets sales and ongoing marketing expenses using the database (SUMAC) and budget reporting
• Analyze and report on digital marketing effectiveness through the use of Google Analytics and Hoot Suite
• Develop and implement all digital marketing (SEM, social media) efforts
• Knowledge of using a payment processor (Paypal, Beanstream) to reconcile sales
• Produce and maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date catalogue of marketing materials including photos, videos, reviews, biographies and repertory information
• Create press kits and DVDs for promotional uses
• Maintain and grow the database, targeting groups and initiating promotions and strategic partnerships
• Coordinate the ticketing system at the Winchester Street Theatre
• Track and document accurate attendance numbers for grants and other reports
• Maintain an up-to-date website
• Assist in tour marketing and media relations
• Coordinate and facilitate Front of House, box office, merchandise and concessions for TDT performances, and other TDT sponsored events.
• Liaise with technical support and suppliers in order to maintain efficient office equipment and provide office management support as required
Responsibilities - Outreach
• Develop annual and long-term outreach and education strategies which take into account educational trends and potential interest in TDT activity
• Develop and implement group marketing campaigns for school, senior and other groups
• Produce all outreach and education marketing and informational materials that assist new audience members to understand and appreciate TDT’s work, including the Educators Workbook and DVD
• Analyze and report on the financial and audience development results of all outreach and education activities
• Initiate outreach and education activities in the Cabbagetown community, and seek opportunities to expand TDT’s profile and involvement in our neighbourhood
• A college or university degree and/or at least five years of marketing experience in an arts organization
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• The ability to work independently
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle competing priorities in a small, fast-paced work environment
• Proficiency with the following software:
o Abobe Suite of programs, specifically InDesign and Photoshop (Illustrator an asset)
o Microsoft Office suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
o Square Space
o Final Cut Express
• Knowledge of contemporary dance is a definite asset.
The position requires flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends during performance periods.
To apply, send a cover letter (separate from email, please) and resumé by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing and Communications Manager Search” no later than September 9, 2016 to:
Andrea Vagianos, Managing Director
Toronto Dance Theatre
80 Winchester Street
Toronto, On M4X 1B2
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.