Dramaturgy for Everyone: Questions that Make your Show Better
De-mystify dramaturgy and do it yourself!
When people ask me, “What does a dramaturg do?” I reply, “I question.”
This function is fundamental in the creation of any work of theatre, and is only sometimes shepherded by a person with the title “dramaturg.”
This two-hour workshop will help you think in a dramaturgical way about structure, meaning, context, and reception for any play or performance. Aimed primarily at actors, directors, and designers, some of the topics covered will be:
1. Should I work with a dramaturg? What will that process look like?
2. How do I explore the text (script/source material) in greater depth?
3. How can I explore historical and cultural contexts to deepen the connections between source material, performers, and audiences?
This workshop will be part discussion, part Q&A, and part hands-on exploration of an intriguing text from playwright Mac Wellman: “Which witch hwich". At the end of this workshop, you will have learned:
1. Questions that unlock the connection between a work’s meaning and structure
2. A strong sense of the process of working with a dramaturg;
3. An appreciation of dramaturgy as a process of questioning text, performance, and reception to deepen the meaning and impact of a work of performance.
With Matt McGeachy (Company Dramaturge at Factory Theatre)
Monday June 27th, 2016
3:00pm to 5:00pm
Theatre Ontario Boardroom
Suite 350, 401 Richmond Street West, Toronto
Course Fee: $40 plus HST (Regular Price), $20 plus HST (for Theatre Ontario individual members)
Posted by: Theatre Ontario
For more information: http://www.theatreontario.org/training/courses-and-workshops/details/Dramaturgy-for-Everyone.aspx