From TAPA’s Strategic Plan, Standing Strong 2017-2020
TAPA is a unique arts service organization that represents three separate disciplines; comprised of 201 professional theatre, dance and opera companies that range from commercial to not-for-profit organizations. TAPA will be responsive to the changing environment and shifting artistic practices of the membership; and engage in a review process of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. As was announced at the TAPA AGM in November 2016, TAPA is committed to an ongoing review of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. TAPA has begun a 2017 Dora Review process, convening the Dora Review Working Group, the mandate of which has been shared with the membership.
THE REVIEW MANDATE:
The Dora Awards Review Working Group overarching premise is to maintain the sustainability, integrity, relevance and prestige of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. The Dora Awards review process is in response to the evolving TAPA membership and in response to changing artistic practices. Additionally PAIS faces financial and practical limitations in sustaining the current Dora Awards structure. The Review Working Group is tasked with addressing these challenges by evaluating existing award Divisions, Categories and certain administrative processes. The Review Working Group must consider recommended solutions including reducing the total number of awards while taking into account limitations and changes. Recommendations will be arrived at and supported by:
1) TAPA via research & support tools and recommendations;
2) Experience of Working Group members;
3) The TAPA membership & community, via Town Halls and Community Convenings.
The 2017 Dora Review will include 6 Town Hall meetings (1 per Award Division), 2 Community Convenings and detailed research into feedback received from the Toronto theatre community at large and comparable award structures elsewhere. Recommendations from the Dora Review Working Group will be submitted to the TAPA Board of Directors, and then submitted to the TAPA membership for a vote, with changes coming into effect for the beginning of the 2018-2019 Dora season (May 2018).
The Dora Review Working Group will make recommendations for amendments/changes to the Dora Mavor Moore Awards for approval by the TAPA Board of Directors, with certain amendments/ changes submitted for a vote to the TAPA membership at large, results of which to be applied in good timing for the 2018-2019 Dora registration season.
DORA REVIEW WORKING GROUP:
- Margo Charlton, Research and Impact Manager - Toronto Arts Foundation & Toronto Arts Council, Committee Chair
- Jim Aldridge, General Manager - TicketKing, Mirvish Productions, General Theatre/Musical Division Representative
- Brad Lepp, Director of Communications - Soulpepper Theatre Company, General Theatre Division Representative (STEPPED DOWN)
- Amy Mushinski, Manager, Government Relations - Canadian Opera Company, Opera Division Representative
- Annemieke Wade, Managing Director - Roseneath Theatre, Theatre for Young Audiences Division Representative
- Gein Wong, Artistic Director - Eventual Ashes, Independent Theatre Representative
- Shana Hillman, Director of Operations - East End Arts, Dance Representative
- Chris Goddard, PAIS Board President
- Scott Dermody, Dora Awards and Outreach Manager- TAPA, Staff Support
- Jacoba Knaapen, Executive Director - TAPA, Staff Support
SCHEDULE OF CONSULTATIONS:
April 11, 2017 - COMMUNITY: Gender Fluidity Panel, Moderator Brendan Healy
August 28, 2017 - COMMUNITY: Design Categories, Moderator David Abel
September 11, 2017 - TOWN HALL: General Theatre Division, Moderator Jenny Ginder
September 11, 2017 - TOWN HALL: Independent Theatre Division, Moderator Andrea Vagianos
September 12, 2017 - TOWN HALL: Musical Theatre/ Opera Division, Moderator Jenny Ginder
September 13, 2017 - TOWN HALL: Dance Division, Moderator Jennifer Brewin
September 14, 2017 - TOWN HALL: Theatre for Young Audiences, Moderator Kelly Straughan
January 30, 2018 - COMMUNITY: Gender Categories, Moderator Kevin Ormsby
All Town Halls were recorded for transcription purposes for consideration by the Dora Review Working Group. Please see above sidebar for summary reports from each Town Hall. Town Hall meetings were for TAPA members only, however, non-members (ie. actors, designers, etc) may be invited by a member company to attend as their guest.