Ontario, September 29th, 2020 - Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC) proudly announces the short lists for its 2020 Tom Hendry Awards. The short list for the Bra d'Or Award, Robert Beardsley Award, RBC Emerging Playwright Award, the Sharon Enkin Theatre For Young People Award, as well as the Playwrights Guild Comedy & Musical Awards, and the Carol Bolt Award have been released by their respective juries.
Bra D’Or Award – 2020 Finalists
PGC is excited to announce the recipient of this year's Bra D'Or Award at the Tom Hendry Awards ceremony on October 26th! The finalists include: Avery Jean Brennan, Marjorie Chan, Kara Flanagan, Heather Inglis, Thomas Morgan Jones, Anna Pappas, Caroline Russell-King, Bronwyn Steinberg, & the Wet Ink Collective Co-Artistic Director’s Sussin McFarlen, Loreta Seto & Lynna Goldhar-Smith.
Robert Beardsley Award
The Arts & Letters Club of Toronto Foundation’s 2020 Short List
This award is to be granted to a full-time secondary or post-secondary student within the GTA for the creation of a one-act play script. JURY: Yolanda Bonnell (Chair), Julia Lederer, and Myekah Payne.
- Audrey Krieger-Pottruff (ON) for Tragedy: A Comedy,
- Nam Nguyen(ON) for CAEZUS, and
- Micaela Robertson(ON) for I'll Miss You a Little.
RBC Emerging Playwright Award – 2020 Short List
This award is given annually for the best play by a PGC-member who is an emerging playwright. JURY: Muriel Hogue (Chair), Warona Setshwaelo and Yvonne Wallace.
- Makram Ayache (ON) for Harun,
- Megs Calleja (BC) for Twentysomething, and
- Gabe Maharjan (QC) for Eva in Rio.
Sharon Enkin Plays For Young People Award – 2020 Short List
This award is given to a new TYA play or one that has had a professional production in the last year. JURY: Pablo Felices-Luna (Chair), Maggie Mercredi, and David Woods.
- Herbert Barnes (ON) for Bent Boy,
- Josh MacDonald (NS) for #IAMTHECHEESE, and
- Jared Mallard (NB) for A Year In The Stars And Rain.
Playwrights Guild Comedy Award – 2020 Short List
This award is given annually for a new comedy by a PGC-member, which has not yet had a premiere production. JURY: Jeff Pitcher (Chair), Rachel Peake, and Brie Watson.
- David Paquet, Translated by Leanna Brodie (BC) for The Shoe,
- Paul Van Dyck (ON) for Siberian Summer, and
- Jamie Williams (ON) for Pinkerton Comes to Prospect.
Playwrights Guild Musical Award – 2020 Short List
This award is given annually for a new musical work by a PGC-member, which has not yet had a premiere production. JURY: Daniel Maté (Chair), Deanna Choi, and Farren Timoteo.
- Sara Farb, Music & Lyrics by Britta Johnson (ON) for KELLY v. KELLY ,
- Matt Murray Music & Lyrics by Colleen Dauncey & Akiva Romer-Segal (ON) for Grow: A New Musical, and
- Molly Reisman, Book & Lyrics & Emily Chiu Book & Music (ON) for Keaton and The Whale.
Carol Bolt Award – 2020 Short List
This award is given annually for the best work by a PGC-member that has premiered in the past year. The Carol Bolt Award is in loving memory of both David and Carol Bolt. JURY: Eda Holmes (Chair), Jennifer Dawn Bishop, and Jenn Deon.
- Keith Barker (ON) for This is How We Got Here,
- Emma Donoghue, Music by Cora Bissett & Kathryn Joseph (ON) for Room, and
- Sébastien Harrisson, Translated by Leanna Brodie (BC) for From Alaska.
Playwrights Guild of Canada is a registered national arts service association mandated to advance the creative rights and interests of professional Canadian playwrights, promote Canadian plays nationally and internationally, and foster an active, evolving community of writers for the stage.