Production name: Dreamgirls
Rehearsals start: July 24, 2017
Performances: September 8th 2017 - November 19th, 2017
Audition date: June 22, 2017
UPDATED Deadline to submit: June 20, 2017
All roles are paid, non-equity.
Book and Lyrics by Tom Eyen, Music by Henry Krieger
Original Broadway Production Directed and Choreographed by Michael Bennett
Full of onstage joy and backstage drama, Dreamgirls is based upon the show business aspirations and successes of R&B acts similar to The Supremes, The Shirelles, James Brown, Jackie Wilson, and others. This musical follows the story of a young Black female singing trio from Chicago, Illinois called "The Dreams", who become music superstars.
We are seeking women and men with strong singing, acting, and dancing skills.
Please prepare 32 bars of a 50's, 60's or Motown song. Please also prepare a contrasting monologue.
Casting all roles: (Some performers will be expected to play multiple roles)
- Effie Melody White — the plus-sized lead singer of the group with a huge gospel voice and a Diva attitude to match. She is smitten with Curtis from the start and is overcome with anger and jealousy when she senses his growing attraction to Deena. belt/soprano - low F (below the staff) to high C. Must move very well. Black Canadian.
- Deena Jones — the beautiful back up singer who is thrust into the lead for her marketable looks and vocals; belt/soprano - low F (below the staff) to high A. Big full belt. Must move very well. Black Canadian.
- Lorrell Robinson — the youngest back up singer who has been singing with her best friends Effie and Deena for years. Falls in love and carries on an affair with Jimmy Early, who refuses to leave his wife for her. She should have a funny sense of humor; belt/soprano - middle C to high Bb. Must move very well. Black Canadian.
- Michelle Morris — Effie's replacement when she gets fired; belt/soprano - low A to F. Black Canadian.
- Jimmy (James Thunder) Early — a wild entertainer who is a cross between Little Richard and James Brown; he gots to have soul; Charismatic, sexy, high energy. tenor - belt to Bb and strong falsetto to D. Must move well. Black Canadian.
- C.C. (Clarence Conrad) White — Effie's younger brother C.C. (Clarence Conrad) serves as the main songwriter for first the group;
Email PDF of headshot and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted by: Lower Ossington Theatre
For more information: http://www.lowerossingtontheatre.com