Hart House Theatre is now accepting submissions for
WE THE FAMILY
A new play by George F. Walker
Directed by Andrea Wasserman
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS:
Friday, June 5, 2015 - early submissions are encouraged.
Those contacted for auditions will be seen beginning the week of June 8, 2015. Only those contacted for an audition will be seen. Performance run: September 18-October 3, 2015
Please send headshots and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: casting for this show will be culturally appropriate. Please see a full character breakdown below.
Actors are asked to prepare one contemporary, Canadian monologue no longer than two minutes in length. Where possible, please select a piece from a play by George F. Walker. Actors may be asked to do a cold read from the text.
ABOUT THE PLAY:
Two families collide in this dark comedy written by acclaimed Canadian playwright, George F. Walker. Known for his wit and biting commentary on city living, Walker’s We the Family looks at the after-effects of a wedding between culturally divergent families. As they struggle to understand one another, their own failings and bad choices set them on a collision course with a devastating – and hilarious – end.
ABOUT THE THEATRE:
Established in 1919, Hart House Theatre is the University of Toronto's Performing Arts Leader. Since its inception, the theatre's unique mix of young professionals, alumni and students has garnered the theatre a reputation as a cultural destination for not only the community of U of T but also the city of Toronto.
- DAVID KAPLAN, Jew’ish’-Canadian business man in his 40s
- LIZZIE KAPLAN, his wife of Irish descent. Also in her 40s
- MERLE KAPLAN, David’s Austrian mother, in her 60s
- SONNY KAPLAN, David’s father, a former street thug also in his 60s
- MARNIE KAPLAN, David and Lizzie’s daughter, aged 19
- JENNY LEE, A second-wife of Chinese origin, aged 29
- LUCY LEE, Jenny’s step-daughter of Chinese descent, aged 19
- SONYA, a Russian secretary and mistress to David, aged 27
- BIANCA, Lizzie’s therapist of Italian descent, in her 30s
- ALI, a Palestinian colleague of Lizzie’s, aged 26
Posted by: Hart House Theatre
For more information: http://harthouse.ca/get-involved-in-theatre/#auditions