POSITION: Director of Communications
LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario
REPORTS TO: CEO/President
POSITION DETAILS: Full-time
DURATION: Full time, Permanent
START DATE: TBD
Inspirit is a national charitable foundation that supports young people building a more inclusive and pluralist Canada. We fund, convene and champion powerful ideas—media & arts initiatives, programs & events, research projects & publications—that foster learning, collaboration and innovation.
For more information, please visit www.inspiritfoundation.org.
THE POSITION: DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
Reporting to the CEO as the Director of Communications, you will be part of a small executive team, bringing your passion for the use of communications, media and marketing-based strategies to create positive social change. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in how attitudes and behaviours can be affected through journalism and documentary, social marketing and arts-based change initiatives. You will be responsible for leading corporate communications and branding, our public profile and positioning and our content strategy.
Organizational Leadership & Strategy
Develop, implement and evaluate annual integrated communications plans that achieve Inspirit’s organizational and strategic objectives which include:
• Working to shift discourse surrounding issues of prejudice and discrimination based on ethnicity, race and religion. (For the next five years, Inspirit will be placing priority on the two urgent themes of Islamophobia/anti-Semitism and Reconciliation.)
• Help ensure that the work and perspectives of young changeleaders are recognized by supporting them through on and off-line networks and convenings and amplifying their ideas and projects through arts and media channels.
• Share the process and success of our impact investment strategies through speaking, publishing and knowledge mobilization activities.
• Broaden awareness of Inspirit’s mission, and priorities, and increase the effectiveness, impact and visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
• Develop communications guidelines and key messages that communicate core brand identity and programs.
• Implement communications strategies and lead media and arts-based projects to shift attitudes and behaviors on the issues related to our mission and themes. This This would include the production and distribution of impact reports, blog posts and stories, events and workshops, speaking opportunities, public relations strategies and collaborative projects.
• Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support Inspirit’s mission as well as challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization.
• Engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Inspirit’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
• Prioritize media opportunities, appearances and events and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
Content strategy, knowledge mobilization & community management:
• Oversee content creation, including writing and production of all print and video communications including the annual report, newsletters, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including Inspirit’s website and social media strategy, and various program and grantee-related materials.
• Direct the generation and curation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Work with the community coordinator to decide who, where, and when to disseminate. Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time.
• Manage community management strategy including CRM database (Salesforce).
• Build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external key stakeholders to ensure proper messaging of the organization’s mission, strategies and programs.
Team development/ management:
• Oversee the day-to-day activities of the small communications team (two direct reports and external consultants) including budgeting, planning and staff development.
• Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
• Manage relationships and negotiate with external service providers including but not limited to media, communications and market research/ monitoring firms, conceptual designers, writers, film/ video and digital suppliers.
• Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis; monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
• Provide quarterly reporting to the CEO and Board of Directors including but not limited to reporting on the status of prioritized marketing and communication activities.
• Degree or diploma in communications, journalism or relevant field experience.
• Minimum of 10 years of progressive senior experience in communications, including but not limited to strategic communications, media relations, social media marketing, impact/ issue campaigns and internal/ stakeholder communications.
• Thorough understanding of communications and branding principles and tactics including digital/web and social media campaigns.
• Proven ability to design, develop and implement both strategic programs and supporting tactics for creative campaigns, movement building and mobilization efforts.
• Extensive, successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
• Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task and set priorities within tight timelines and high expectations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the complex environment of diversity,multiculturalism and pluralism; experience in and around issues of discrimination, marginalization, racism and Indigenous issues a real asset.
• Experience in non-profit, charitable and/or foundation sectors an asset.
• Must be able to work both independently and with a small team.
• Experience or knowledge of Salesforce CRM database management, online graphic design and publishing tools.
• Proven ability to network and connect to communications/ media, production, design and digital communities.
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) in a Mac environment.
• A passion and commitment for social change and an orientation toward embracing and promoting diversity and engaging with people and groups from different backgrounds and beliefs.
• A “strategic thinker” able to develop compelling and integrated communications ideas, programs and initiatives that drive influence and impact.
• Creative, curious, innovative and enterprising.
• Accountable with a strong sense of professionalism and integrity.
• Committed and enthusiastic, confident and outgoing, and not afraid of challenges.
• Highly organized and goal-orientated with flexibility needed to shift gears quickly.
• Ability to build trust and engender confidence internally and externally.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategy and tactical.
Please provide salary expectations with application.
HOW TO APPLY
The Inspirit Foundation welcomes applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and is an equal opportunity employer. Please send your resume and cover letter including salary expectations noting "Director of Communications_FirstName LastName" in the file title to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Communications” in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications is October 23, 2015.
We thank applicants for their interest; however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted.
Posted by: Inspirit Foundation
For more information: http://www.inspiritfoundation.org