DEADLINE TO SUBMIT: Sunday, November 6 @ midnight.
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Generator. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Generator has just completed a transition from a fee-for-service based model to become a teaching, mentoring and innovation incubator. The new Executive Director will be responsible for leading and further stabilizing this model. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with the Board in order to fulfill the organization mission.
- Responsible for leading Generator in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Generator, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Generator’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with the Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Generator’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission including Resident Companies, Artist Producer Training, PORTAL, and Leadership & Community.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Generator can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Generator’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of Generator’s operations including teaching and leading the Artist Producer Training Program, mentoring Resident Companies, developing and implementing Urgent Exchange and SLIP partnerships, and facilitating the launch and maintenance of PORTAL Wiki platform for producers.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for writing and overseeing all grant applications, including annual operating grants.
- Responsible for researching and preparing applications for new funding opportunities for the organization available from arts councils, foundations, and corporate sponsorship.
- Responsible for signing all agreements and other documents on behalf of the organization.
- Bachelor Degree or significant leadership experience in the sector.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Knowledge of the arts ecology and emerging models for entrepreneurial artists
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation
- Familiarity with online and collaborative tools
- Ability to convey a vision of Generator’s strategic future to staff, the Board, volunteers, donors and the public.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit arts sector
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate Board members and other volunteers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff
- Strong public speaking ability
- Experience with mentorship
- Producing experience an asset
Actual Job Responsibilities:
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation.
- Serving as Generator’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with various organizations throughout Canadian culture and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Generator’s mission.
- Supervising and collaborating with organization staff, including working closely with the Financial Administrator to ensure all compliance responsibilities are being met.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Overseeing organization, Board and committee meetings.
- Overseeing marketing and other communications efforts.
- Reviewing and approving contracts for services.
- Developing and implementing programs as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board.
Generator is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse team of employees who reflect the communities in which we live and work.
The salary for this position is $40,000 - $50,000, commensurate with experience and other qualifications. This includes a benefits package with Great West Life.
1 A resume
2 A cover letter
3 A link to a video, no longer than two minutes in length, on how you consider the role of the artist/producer in today’s arts ecology.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com and received by no later than Sunday Nov. 6 at midnight. While we appreciate all applications, only successful applicants will be contacted. Interviews will take place the week of Nov. 21st.