Full-Time Start Date: February 1, 2018
Salary: $32,000 – $36,000
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Term: Permanent Full-Time
Founded in 2002, fu-GEN Asian Canadian Theatre Company is devoted to providing a home for the Asian Canadian theatre artist, nurturing their voices and producing works of the highest artistic caliber that explore the Asian Canadian experience. Our primary activities include producing 1-2 productions seasonally, play and playwright development, and an annual emerging creator development program, Kitchen Creators Unit.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager carries out all administrative operations required to achieve the organizational vision of the company. The General Manager is the administrative head of the company and works in partnership with the Artistic Director to pursue its mandate and vision. The ideal candidate for this position will be passionate, dedicated to the artistic mission and vision, and committed to the growth of operational capacity over the next several years via a strategic plan they will help create. They should be equally at ease working with senior management positions as they are with mentoring emerging arts administrators. The position requires an adaptable personality who is comfortable working with a small, idealistic team of theatre makers towards a brighter, more diverse, increasingly inclusive theatrical ecology. Responsibilities include:
Administrative and Operational Management
- Daily operations and functions of the organization
- Maintaining records, databases, memberships and subscriptions
- Designing and implementing office and company policies, addressing general correspondences and inquiries, as well as maintaining office supplies, equipment and services for the office and adjoining studio
- Overseeing the management of studio rentals and studio use, supervising the Studio Coordinator, updating and maintaining studio use and renter policies, maintaining payment records and following up for all accounts receivable
- Preparing, monitoring and revising the annual operating budget, and maintaining the company’s financial records as reported to CADAC.
- Managing daily company finances, including processing accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, remittance of payroll deductions, banking and managing cash flow
- Works with the bookkeeper to maintain the company financial records, prepare and file the annual HST return, T4/T4A’s and other financial documents and forms
- Works with the auditor to produce the required records and statements as needed to conduct the annual audit
- Prepares and reports financial updates to the board of directors, providing updated financial statements for meetings (balance sheet, global budget, cash flow, profit and loss)
- With the Artistic Director, maintains fu-GEN’s communication platforms and creates and implements communication schedules and campaigns throughout the season
- Administers outreach activities with the Artistic Director
- Working with the Artistic Director to build the season schedule, assisting in the creation and implementation of both short and long term projects
- Donor stewardship and engagement
- Assists the Artistic Director with grant writing, and collaborates on strategies and programming decisions
- With the Artistic Director and Board of Directors, revises and implements fundraising plans, and seeks new revenue generating opportunities
- Management of all contract staff, in co-ordination with the Producer
- Overseeing the logistics and planning of all company events
- Prepares project budgets, manage and oversee the execution and reconciliation of production expenses, as well as track and process all revenues
- Liaises with the CAEA to engage under the appropriate agreements, managing payments, deductions and remittances.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience as producer / senior manager in a not-for-profit arts organization.
- A successful track record in strong fiscal management, fundraising and marketing.
- Experience in working with and engaging a Board of Directors.
- Familiarity with computer software programs including: Windows 10, Microsoft Office Suite, Quickbooks, Sumac, Squarespace, Mailchimp
- Some familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and social media platforms an asset.
- Proven leadership capacity
- Exemplary written communication skills
- A familiarity with the national theatrical ecology, with a particular understanding of diverse arts groups
- An ability to work with and contribute to a multi-faceted team
- An ability to be self-motivated, and to multi-task
- An awareness that, as companies creating public work, we are ambassadors for our community
fu-GEN is an independent arts organization dedicated to the development of professional Asian Canadian theatre artists through the production of new and established works. The General Manager and Artistic Director represent the core staff of the organization who work alongside a handful of part-time and contract workers throughout the season, as needed. fu-GEN manages an office in Cabbagetown which includes an active rental workshop space and is a senior partner in the collaborative producing model RISER. More information at www.fu-gen.org
How to apply
fu-GEN Theatre is committed to employment equity and diversity, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please send cover letter, resume and references to the attention of the Board of Directors via email no later than Friday, January 5, 2018 at 5pm. Applications are accepted via email only and should include fu-GEN General Manager in the subject heading. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org