RSVP Required, scroll to bottom of post.
TAPA Members Only.
Non-Members may attend at the invitation of a TAPA member company (see full post for details).
This is a reminder of the details released in the August 21 membership eblast. Space is still available in each Town Hall session.
TAPA made a commitment to reviewing the Dora Mavor Moore Awards, as articulated in “Standing Strong” TAPA’s Strategic Plan. We are on track, and all TAPA Member companies are invited to participate in the Town Hall discussions.
Dora Town Halls:
Each Town Hall is structured by Division and will focus on award categories per Division. Your comments and opinions are critical to this process. Results of the Dora Town Halls will inform recommendations from the Dora Review Working Group to the TAPA Board of Directors.
All TAPA members are invited to participate in the Division Town Hall(s) pertinent to their artistic practice. The Town Halls are open to TAPA member companies only.
- Up to two (2) core individuals of TAPA member companies may attend.
- TAPA members are encouraged to invite one (1) “non-member” that could include performer/ designer/ playwright/ choreographer/ board member or other individual who technically does not qualify as a TAPA member themselves, but who you think can make a valuable contribution to the discussion.
All Dora Town Halls will be facilitated by a Moderator.
In an effort to have the most productive conversation possible,
we strongly encourage attendees to carefully review these support materials.
The Dora Awards Review Working Group overarching premise is to maintain the sustainability, integrity, relevance and prestige of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. The Dora Awards review process is in response to the evolving TAPA membership and changing artistic practices. Additionally PAIS faces financial and practical limitations in sustaining the current Dora Awards structure. The Review Working Group is tasked with addressing these challenges by evaluating existing award Divisions, Categories and certain administrative processes. The Review Working Group will consider recommended solutions including reducing the total number of awards while taking into account limitations and the impact of changes. Recommendations will be arrived at and supported by:
- TAPA via research & support tools and recommendations;
- Experience of Working Group members;
- The TAPA membership & community, via Town Halls and Community Convenings.
The Dora Review Working Group will make recommendations for amendments/changes to the Dora Mavor Moore Awards for approval by the TAPA Board of Directors, with certain amendments/ changes submitted for a vote to the TAPA membership at large, results of which to be applied in good timing for the 2018-2019 Dora registration season.
The 2017 Dora Review Working Group
- Margo Charlton, Chair (Toronto Arts Foundation and Toronto Arts Council, Research and Impact Manager)
- Jim Aldridge, Musical Theatre Rep, TAPA BOARD (General Manager, Ticketking)
- Shana Hillman, Dance Rep, TAPA BOARD (Director of Operations, East End Arts)
- Brad Lepp, General Theatre Rep (Director of Communications, Soulpepper Theatre Company)
- Amy Mushinski, Opera Rep, TAPA BOARD (Manager of Gov’t Relations, Canadian Opera Company)
- Annemieke Wade, TYA Rep, TAPA BOARD (Managing Director, Roseneath Theatre)
- Gein Wong, Independent Theatre Rep (Artistic Director, Eventual Ashes)
- Chris Goddard, PAIS Board President
- Jacoba Knaapen, TAPA Executive Director
- Scott Dermody, TAPA Dora Awards Manager
Dora Town Hall Schedule:
General Theatre Division Town Hall
When: Monday, September 11, 2017, 10:00am – 12:30pm
Venue: Buddies in Bad Times Theatre
Moderator: Jenny Ginder
Indie Theatre Division Town Hall
When: Monday, September 11, 2017, 7:00pm – 9:30pm
Venue: The Theatre Centre
Moderator: Andrea Vagianos
Musical Theatre/ Opera/ Touring Division Town Hall
When: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 3:00pm – 5:30pm
Venue: Theatre Passe Muraille
Moderator: Jenny Ginder
Dance Division Town Hall
When: Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 3:00pm- 5:30pm
Venue: Streetcar Crowsnest
Moderator: Jennifer Brewin
Theatre for Young Audiences Division Town Hall
When: Thursday, September 14, 2017, 10:00am- 12:30pm
Venue: Young People’s Theatre
Moderator: Kelly Straughan
Alexis Da Silva-Powell email@example.com
Indicate which Division Town Hall, who will be attending, if you will be bringing any non-members.
Deadline is two (2) business days prior to each Town Hall date.