Accelerate your career with real-world skill development and opportunities within the documentary film, television and digital media industries.
Selected Doc Accelerator fellows will take part in an intensive festival-based curriculum comprised of a private filmmaking lab alongside attendance at Hot Docs conference and market events. The program will focus on skills training and career advancement with a goal to foster a diverse new generation of Canadian documentary filmmakers.
Six to eight filmmakers from across Canada will be selected to participate in the 2018 Doc Accelerator Emerging Filmmaker lab with an emphasis on creating a cohort of regionally and culturally diverse filmmakers.
Applications now open with a final deadline of January 31, 2018.
Please read the below guidelines before submitting.
Applicants must be:
- An emerging level filmmaker with three or fewer professional credits as director or producer (student films that play in festival settings are considered professional credits)
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- An emerging filmmaker with a demonstrated commitment to their profession (e.g. education and/or work experience in the field of documentary or factual television production)
- Between the ages of 22 and 35
- Available Friday, April 27 to Friday, May 3, 2018, to attend the Hot Docs Festival in person
Members of under-represented groups such as visible minorities, persons with a disability or members of the indigenous community are encouraged to apply.
- Hot Docs All-Access Pass ($975 value), with access to the Hot Docs Forum, screenings, social events, and conference sessions
- Private intensive professional development, career planning, and skill development sessions
- Specialized workshops on fundamentals, including storytelling, funding and producing, the art of pitching, and promotion and distribution
- A customized Hot Docs conference itinerary
- Access to the Hot Docs Online Community for one year
- One Hot Docs Program Guide, Industry Guide and delegate bag
- Travel and accommodation funding may be available to some participants
Festival and Lab
On April 28 and 29, fellows will participate in a two-day private lab during the 2018 Hot Docs Festival. During this lab, fellows will hear from a variety of industry experts and will engage in hands-on workshops and activities such as creating short documentaries. Fellows will then participate in the 2018 Hot Docs conference week attending the Hot Docs Forum, industry panels and sessions, networking events and screenings.
Mentorship and Training Opportunity
Following the Festival, some participants will be paired with a successful Canadian documentary production company located within their geographic region. The participants will shadow their mentor’s day-to-day work, with significant focus placed on reaching the participant’s personal goals and outcomes for the experience. The work schedule will be determined by each individual placement and production schedule, placements will be approximately 200 hours in length. Honorariums may be available.
Now open, with a final deadline of January 31, 2018.
A jury composed of industry professionals and one Hot Docs representative will review all submitted proposals. Applicants will be notified of the jury’s decision by March 10, 2018.
Doc Accelerator fellows will receive Hot Docs alumni status upon completion of their participation in the Doc Accelerator Emerging Filmmaker Lab. View Alumni Benefits.
For a list of past participants, mentors and juries, please visit our archives.