CALL TO ARTISTS
Peer Learning Network: a choreographic working group for emerging artists
DEADLINE AUGUST 15th, 2018
Developed in response to a need for increased choreographic development for artists in Toronto, the Peer Learning Network is an opportunity for emerging* choreographers to learn, experiment, develop work, develop methodologies, but most of all to do it together. Artists working in all forms and practices of dance are encouraged to apply.
This project is an experiment in self-directed learning. Interested artists should be willing to commit to working with the group, attending sharing sessions, and where possible, working with other choreographers as an interpreter.
Six selected artists will receive:
- Ten hours of studio time per month at Dancemakers Centre for Creation throughout the duration of the program, based on studio availability
- An honorarium
- Discounted tickets to performances at Dancemakers throughout the duration of the program
The Artists agree to:
- Attend a monthly group sharing session
- Commit to working collectively with the group, including as outside eyes or interpreters, as available
- Be available for a public sharing moment of their work through the Peer Learning Network
This is the second iteration of the Dancemakers Peer Learning Network. The first edition hosted Robyn Breen, Molly Johnson, Dedra McDermott, Kari Pederson, Shakeil Rollock, jes sachse, Irma Villafuerte, and Naishi Wang.
Program dates will be from September 15th to December 15th 2018
*For the purposes of this program, Emerging Choreographers are those with 5 years or less professional experience as a choreographer
To apply, please submit the following:
- An artists’ statement (maximum 500 words)
Please describe your artistic interests, methods, curiosities. What are you specifically working on as a choreographer? What motivates you to make dances? How do you make them? What is similar between your dances?
- A biography
Please list any professional choreographic experience and training as well as other relevant information.
- Support material
Please submit up to 5 minutes of video documentation. Links to video only: no attachments/dropbox.
Submit all documents as a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject line “Peer Learning Network Application” by 5 PM on August 15th, 2018.
Selected participants will be notified within two weeks of the deadline.