The COC’s education and outreach team is looking for a knowledgeable and dynamic volunteer to provide administrative support for the Youth Opera Lab (YOL) program.
YOL is a free program for youth, ages of 16–24 who have an interest in opera. YOLS will take place five times during the 2016/2017 season: Sept 26, Jan 14, Jan 24, Apr 13, and May, 2017. Each lab includes a workshop with an opera professional; an exclusive glimpse of a working rehearsal with cast, crew and orchestra; and, a pair of free dress rehearsal tickets for each participant.
This is a volunteer position. The commitment would require the volunteer to come into the COC office from September to May, for four to six hours per week on a flexible schedule, with increased hours leading up to the date of each YOL, and a lighter time commitment for the weeks immediately after each YOL. The position is best suited for an individual with a keen interest in arts and/or cultural administration. This volunteer position provides individuals a practical and learning experience in outreach programming, administration, marketing, and communications.
• Assisting with administrative tasks related to the YOL, including processing registrations, communicating with participants, creating supporting documents, assisting with the creation of marketing pieces, and analyzing and synthesizing participant feedback.
• Liaising with COC staff and participants.
• Welcoming participants, introducing guests and artists, and facilitating Q&A sessions at each YOL.
• An interest and/or formal education in arts administration and/or cultural management, music, education, or a combination
• Strong organizational, planning, and leadership skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, and comfort with public speaking
• Experience with the age group (16 to 24) is an asset
• Holds, or can acquire, a valid Vulnerable Sector Verification through the Police Reference Check program
• Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop an asset
The COC offers active volunteers many benefits, including one or two tickets to COC dress rehearsals (pending availability), and additional discounts to participating Toronto attractions among other perks.
Interested individuals should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted by: Canadian Opera Company
For more information: http://www.coc.ca/YOL