Status: Full time
Start Date: November 2018
Reports to: Controller
Canadian Stage is now accepting applications for the position of Compensation Administrator. This is a permanent, full-time position in the Accounting and Finance department.
Reporting to the Controller, the Compensation Administrator is responsible for the preparation and processing of two weekly payrolls using the payroll service provider PAYWORKS (transitioning to ADP in 2019) and benefits administration. The Compensation Administrator makes various remittances for unions, associations, garnishments, WSIB, NRT, and group benefit plans, prepares and files all annual payroll reporting. The Compensation Administrator will be responsible for GL account analysis and reconciliation, salary budget preparation, monthly forecasting, cash flow analysis, and various accounting and administrative tasks related to the timely preparation of month end financial statements, reconciliation and reports. The Compensation Administrator will provide support for the annual audit, and prepare schedules as required for the audit. This position will also have a role in Human Resource administration including assistance on ESA, vacation and time tracking, CRA regulation interpretation and Pay Equity.
- Prepare 2 weekly payrolls for salaried and hourly staff, production, cast and unionized crew using the payroll service provider PAYWORKS (transitioning to ADP in 2019)
- Ensure accuracy of processing with respect to unionized employees
- Process new hires/terminations, changes in employee information, manual cheques, ad hoc payments as required
- Prepare allocations for production and show expenses from weekly payroll processing
- Prepare and enter payroll journals into Project Costing and General Ledger on the TRAVERSE Accounting System
- Prepare journals and process various remittances for unions, associations, garnishments, WSIB, and group benefit plans
- Provide monthly reconciliation and analysis of GL accounts used in payroll processing
- Prepare monthly salary and benefits report updating actual YTD expenses, comparing to fiscal year budget and updating forecast with notes accounting for variances
- Prepare preliminary salary and benefit budget
- Comply with all Provincial employment standards; keeping up to date with legislated changes
- Audit payroll for accuracy; ensure the validity and integrity of the payroll database
- Liaise with Executive Producer on non-resident CRA issues and filings for performers
- Prepare and file annual T4 /T4A / T4A-NR / T5; prepare ROEs
- Administer company benefit/RSP programs for salaried employees
- Communicate with employees with respect to benefit/RSP procedures
- Handle inquiries with respect to payroll policies and procedures
- Maintain confidential employee information files
- Maintain and update ‘Employee Handbook’ and ‘Welcome’ package
- Track vacation entitlements for salaried staff
- Provide support to departmental team leads in analysis of their departmental monthly results to target
- Provide accounting/analysis support for monthly reporting package for management
- Provide accounting/analysis support for Year End Financials preparation and audit
- Provide support in other accounting functions as identified
- At least 4 years of experience in a payroll and benefits role
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification with the Canadian Payroll Association
- Experience with ADP payroll, time and attendance and HR is preferred
- Experience with CAEA contracts and IATSE benefits is desirable
- Strong computer proficiency with MS Office products – EXCEL mandatory
- Must be proactive with making processes more efficient
Ideal Personal Qualities
- An ability to work independently, meet deadlines and multi-task under pressure in a fast-paced environment as a dynamic and supportive team member
- Must be a self starter who is detail and solution oriented and have a positive attitude
- High ethical standards and strict adherence to confidentiality in all personnel matters
- Superb organizational skills with the ability to work on multiple projects with tight deadlines
- Outstanding communications and organizational skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams.
- A passion for the performing arts and the desire to be part of a vibrant Canadian contemporary theatre company
Founded in 1987, Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary theatre companies, with the 2018.19 season marking the organization’s 31st season. Led by Artistic Director Brendan Healy, Canadian Stage produces and showcases innovative theatre from Canada and around the world, allowing its audience to encounter daring work guided by a strong directorial vision and a 21st-century aesthetic. The company prides itself on presenting multidisciplinary pieces and work in translation that pushes the boundaries of form and style. Canadian Stage reinforces the presence of Canadian art and artists within an international context through work that mirrors the cultural diversity of Toronto. The company stages an annual season of work at three major venues (the Bluma Appel Theatre, the Berkeley Street Theatre and the High Park Amphitheatre) and runs a series of artist development and education initiatives, as well as youth and community outreach programs. For more information, visit canadianstage.com.
Please submit a letter of interest, 3 work references and CV with salary expectations by Wednesday October 17, 2018 by email only (attach documents in Microsoft Word or PDF).
Attention: Sandra Cesario, Canadian Stage
Re: Compensation Administrator
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates may be asked to complete a payroll test. All applications are considered confidential. Canadian Stage welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted by: Canadian Stage
For more information: https://www.canadianstage.com/