From TAPA’s Strategic Plan, Standing Strong 2017-2020
TAPA is a unique arts service organization that represents three separate disciplines; comprised of 201 professional theatre, dance and opera companies that range from commercial to not-for-profit organizations. TAPA will be responsive to the changing environment and shifting artistic practices of the membership; and engage in a review process of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. As was announced at the TAPA AGM in November 2016, TAPA is committed to an ongoing review of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. TAPA has begun a 2017 Dora Review process, convening the Dora Review Working Group, the mandate of which has been shared with the membership.
THE REVIEW MANDATE:
The Dora Awards Review Working Group overarching premise is to maintain the sustainability, integrity, relevance and prestige of the Dora Mavor Moore Awards. The Dora Awards review process is in response to the evolving TAPA membership and in response to changing artistic practices. Additionally PAIS faces financial and practical limitations in sustaining the current Dora Awards structure. The Review Working Group is tasked with addressing these challenges by evaluating existing award Divisions, Categories and certain administrative processes. The Review Working Group must consider recommended solutions including reducing the total number of awards while taking into account limitations and changes. Recommendations will be arrived at and supported by:
1) TAPA via research & support tools and recommendations;
2) Experience of Working Group members;
3) The TAPA membership & community, via Town Halls and Community Convenings.
The 2017 Dora Review will include 6 Town Hall meetings (1 per Award Division), 2 Community Convenings and detailed research into feedback received from the Toronto theatre community at large and comparable award structures elsewhere. Recommendations from the Dora Review Working Group will be submitted to the TAPA Board of Directors, and then submitted to the TAPA membership for a vote, with changes coming into effect for the beginning of the 2018-2019 Dora season (May 2018).
The Dora Review Working Group will make recommendations for amendments/changes to the Dora Mavor Moore Awards for approval by the TAPA Board of Directors, with certain amendments/ changes submitted for a vote to the TAPA membership at large, results of which to be applied in good timing for the 2018-2019 Dora registration season.
Dora Review Working Group
- Margo Charlton, Research and Impact Manager - Toronto Arts Foundation & Toronto Arts Council, Committee Chair
- Jim Aldridge, General Manager - TicketKing, Mirvish Productions, General Theatre/Musical Division Representative
- Brad Lepp, Director of Communications - Soulpepper Theatre Company, General Theatre Division Representative
- Amy Mushinski, Manager, Government Relations - Canadian Opera Company, Opera Division Representative
- Annemieke Wade, Managing Director - Roseneath Theatre, Theatre for Young Audiences Division Representative
- Gein Wong, Artistic Director - Eventual Ashes, Independent Theatre Representative
- Chris Goddard, PAIS Board President
- Scott Dermody, Dora Awards and Outreach Manager- TAPA, Staff Support Person
- Jacoba Knaapen, Executive Director - TAPA, Staff Support Person
SCHEDULE OF TOWN HALLS:
|GENERAL TOWN HALL||10:00am – 12:30pm||Buddies in Bad Times Theatre - Cabaret||Jenny Ginder|
|Monday September 11||INDIE
|7:00 – 9:30pm||The Theatre Centre||Andrea Vagianos|
|MUSICAL/OPERA TOWN HALL||3:00 – 5:30pm||Theatre Passe Muraille MAINSPACE – upstairs||Jenny Ginder|
|Additionally:||INDIE OPERA (non-members)||5:30 – 6:30pm||TPM -upstairs||Jacoba & Scott|
|DANCE TOWN HALL||3:00 – 5:30pm||Crows Theatre
|Thursday September 14||TYA TOWN HALL||10:00am – 12:30pm||YPT||Kelly Straughan|
SCHEDULE OF COMMUNITY CONVENINGS:
|Tuesday, April 11||GENDER FLUIDITY Panel
|1:30 – 4:30pm||Aki Studio, Daniels Spectrum||Brendon Healy||Live Facebook Streaming|
|Monday, August 28||DESIGNERS Community Convening||4:00 – 6:00pm||401 Richmond Street West
|David Abel||Live Facebook Streaming|
- All TownHalls will be recorded for transcription purposes for later consideration by the Dora Review Working Group.
- Town Hall meetings are for TAPA members only, however, non-members (ie. actors, designers, etc) may be invited by a member company to attend as their guest.