Posted by Alumnae Theatre Company
Alumnae Theatre Company is seeking submissions from emerging and experienced non-union directors for the 35th annual New Ideas Festival, with performances running live and in-person March 15th – 26th, 2023 in Toronto.
A showcase of bold and adventurous one-act plays, NIF facilitates full productions for scripts 10-30 minutes in length.
Each festival week will feature a different line-up of 3-5 short works (6-10 festival plays in total). NIF offers dramaturgical support, stage managers and technical crew, festival auditions, rehearsal and production space, access to ATC’s costume and props collections, marketing and publicity.
Please send director submission packages to email@example.com as one combined PDF, and include the following:
- A resume outlining theatrical experience.
- An artist’s statement (250 words or less) describing your directorial practice, including style, approach and particular areas of interest.
- Contact information (including email address, phone number and mailing address).
- Optional: supporting materials including reviews, photos or videos of previous work.
Preference will be given to directors who identify as women. NIF welcomes voices from diverse communities, and encourages submissions from equity-seeking groups, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Trans, Nonbinary, Queer, Disabled and intersections of those identities.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 11:59pm on Wednesday, November 30th, 2022. Candidates selected for interviews will be given access to the NIF 2023 scripts, and will meet briefly with all festival playwrights in-person at Alumnae Theatre on Sunday, December 18th.
- Director Interviews: December 18th, 2022 from 2-4pm (directors will be called for the full two hours)
- Festival Auditions and Callbacks: January 2023
- Rehearsals: January – March, 2023
- Performances: Week 1: March 15th – 19th, 2023; Week 2: March 22nd – 26th, 2023
Alumnae Theatre Company thanks all directors for their submissions, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. The New Ideas Festival is a non-union, non-paying volunteer opportunity.