Posted by Hamilton Fringe (Hamilton Festival Theatre Company)
Do you have a fantastic 60-minute play hiding deep in a drawer waiting for the right moment? Maybe it’s just floating around the cloud? Maybe it’s still the tiniest seed of an idea, and you’re waiting for a sign from the universe to put your pen to paper or fingers to keyboard? THIS IS THE SIGN YOU’VE BEEN WAITING FOR! The Hamilton Fringe New Play Contest 2022 is ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS! This contest is open to ALL writers, no experience necessary. All submissions are anonymized and read by the jury.
First prize gets a FREE performance slot in the 2022 Hamilton Fringe Festival plus $300.00 CAD. (Two runners up receive a Fringe Binge Pass!)
- There is a $35 non-refundable application fee.
- Open to all playwrights/writers.
- Only one entry per playwright is permitted.
- All entries must be original, unproduced plays or musicals. (Plays that have been workshopped or produced in student festivals within an academic context are eligible. If you’re not sure if your play qualifies, contact Festival Director Christopher Stanton BEFORE you apply: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- First time stage adaptations of other work from another medium are eligible IF AND ONLY IF the playwright has the rights to adapt and present the work for public performance.
- Plays can be written/performed in any language, however the playwright must provide an English translation for the jury. (The English translation is what the jury will be evaluating.)
- The playwright may have received funding to create or workshop this play.
- All plays must have a performance time of 60 minutes or less.
Winners will be announced in January 2022 at the Hamilton Fringe Festival’s Lottery Party (event details TBC). Read the full rules and regulations, submit your 60-minute script before midnight on December 15, 2021, and we’ll see you at the Lottery Party!
Visit hamiltonfringe.ca/get-involved/new-play-contest for all the info.