Posted by Harbourfront Centre
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Harbourfront Centre, on Toronto’s waterfront, is an innovative not-for-profit cultural organization that creates events and activities of excellence that enliven, educate and entertain a diverse public. We pride ourselves in engaging volunteers for more than 35 years and strive to offer exemplary training and development to individuals who choose to supply their resources. Harbourfront Centre is grateful for the extensive network of volunteers who is exhilarated by their effort and empowerment to achieve the organization’s mission.
Position Title: Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement
Department: Cultural Engagement
Reporting to: Director, Cultural Engagement
Direct reports: Director, Cultural Engagement and Manager, Volunteer Engagement
Salary: $16.00-$17.50 per hour
Key Relationships: Director, Cultural Engagement, seasonal and year-round Programming staff, Manager, Volunteer Engagement, Volunteers and staff in other departments, as required
Type of Employment: Contract 12 months (November 1, 2021 – November 25, 2022).
Summary of Function:
We are currently seeking a competent Coordinator of Volunteer Engagement (CVE) to join our team. As the CVE, you will mainly be responsible for the coordination of recruitment, screening, orientation and training of volunteers and staff, matching and scheduling volunteers and taking the lead in the preparation and execution of the annual Volunteer Fair for Arts and Culture. The CVE works in a hybrid format, including from home, in an office environment and outdoors in nonstandard workplaces; the CVE’s schedule will be flexible, including some evenings and weekends.
Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement – major responsibilities include:
Recruitment and Outreach:
• Coordinating recruitment and outreach efforts
• Coordinating the annual Arts & Culture Volunteer Fair
• Screening and onboarding new volunteers
Orientation and Training:
• Developing orientation presentation and training materials
• Preparing orientation and training packages
• Coordinating and assisting with the delivery of orientation and training sessions
• Maintaining a clean and accurate Volunteer Management System (Better Impact)
• Tracking and implementing shift requests
• Building event and festival schedules
• Responding to emails and phone calls in a timely manner
• Attending meetings and communicate with other departments
• Assisting with the coordination and execution of volunteer appreciation events
• Participating in performance reviews and feedback sessions
• Contributing to post-festival briefing reports
• Leading select volunteer committee(s) and specialized team(s)
Workplace Health and Safety
• All staff are required to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of other personnel (including volunteers and interns) who may be affected by their conduct.
Skills & Requirements
• Completion of post-secondary degree in arts, music, event and/or volunteer management or related field.
• 1-2 years of administrative experience.
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada according to relevant provincial legislation and regulations.
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (including PowerPoint, Excel and Word), and database management.
• Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, collaborating with many different teams.
• Excellent communication skills and comfortable with public speaking in front of larger groups
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
• Ability to delegate tasks to others
• Must be self-motivated, pro-active and collaborative
• Supervisory and/or leadership skills
• Experience working with Better Impact or another volunteer management software
• Experience working with Office 365 applications and Zoom
• Experience in event/venue and/or volunteer management is an asset.
• Job involves sitting for extended periods of time working at a computer
• Job involves visual and mental concentration
• Job requires a lot of walking during festivals/events
• Job involves attention to details and accuracy in data entry
• Job requires some flexibility, working evenings and weekends
• Working conditions are a normal office environment with the usual risks or discomforts of working in an office, no special safety precautions are required.
How to Apply
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programs and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria of what we are seeking, and your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than October 22nd, 2021. Please quote Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.