Application Extension Deadline: August 6, 2021
TO Live has an exciting full-time opportunity in its Programming Department in the role of Director of Programming Administration.
The Programming Department of TO Live, headed by the Vice-President of Programming comprises the Programming, Producing and Production Departments, each with their own Director. The combined Programming Department is responsible for securing, servicing, and delivering TO Live’s rental business including corporate and private events, education and engagement, and TO Live Presents programming.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Director of Programming Administration reports to the VP of Programming and works closely with the Directors of Production and Producing.
This position works closely with the VP of Programming on strategic, financial and other department planning to maximize the opportunities and to meet the challenges of TO Live’s organizational goals and objectives as they pertain to the Programming Department.
The Director of Programming Administration is responsible for ensuring that the Programming Department’s administrative processes support the delivery of the Department’s objective of maximizing use of TO Live venues through a balanced calendar of high-quality and diverse rental and presented activities in a variety of disciplines.
This position manages the planning, activities, budgets, staff, and execution of work to fulfill Programming’s contractual commitments for both TO Live Presents programs, and its rental revenue stream (non-corporate).
ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the VP of Programming, and in liaison with the Finance Department, to regularly review and revise the Department planning, budgeting and reporting systems and procedures to meet the Department and broader TO Live objectives.
- Provide ongoing support to the VP of Programming monitoring the TO Live.
- Presents programming and rental revenue stream budgets.
- Develop the annual Programming Department budget.
- Coordinate the Department’s input into the annual organization budget including finalizing the rental matrix and preparation of the annual calendar.
- Assist the VP of Programming with the preparation of budget documents and other reports for the Board and relevant Board Committees as required.
- Update monthly Contribution Margin reports for TO Live Presents and Stage rentals.
- Prepare Programming Department monthly expense reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the VP of Programming; and/or their designate.
TO Live Presents
- Support the VP of Programming in shaping the long-term planning and annual calendar of TO Live Presents events and activities including assessing financial feasibility and curatorial fit in keeping with the organization’s strategic plan and TO Live’s vision and mission.
- Working with the Directors of Producing and Production to coordinate the TO Live Presents event budgeting process to promote effective flow of information, efficiency and accuracy.
- As required by the VP of Programming, negotiate deal terms with artist management and/or directly with companies being considered for TO Live Presents programming, with particular focus on commercial partnerships, and ensure that the Director of Producing has all relevant information to finalize budgets and contracts for review and execution by VP of Programming and CEO.
- Work with the Director of Producing to periodically review and revise as necessary all TO Live Presents contract templates.
- Oversee the Bookings Department responsibilities facilitating rental business (excluding Corporate and Private Events) to monitor, control and maximize net stage revenues.
- Oversee the Bookings Department to ensure that contractual obligations and the expectations of clients and external programming partners are met and that the highest standards of customer relationship management are adhered to.
- Oversee the Bookings Department strategy to develop new rental business within an evolving and competitive marketplace.
- Liaise with the Corporate Sales Manager (reports to the VP of Programming) to achieve optimum mix across the entire rental portfolio.
- Oversee, the negotiation of contractual terms for rentals and approve/execute all rental contracts (non-corporate) adhering to the requirements of Finance Policy #302 – Rental Contracts.
Education and Engagement
- Oversee the preparation and management of the Education and Engagement budgets and the accurate and timely flow of information to support the annual organization budget process.
- Supervise TO Live’s Merchandise Manager and the fulfilment of client expectations.
- Prepare and manage the annual merchandise budget.
- Foster a positive and respectful work environment where staff are motivated to excel.
- Hire, train, mentor, and discipline staff as required.
- Communicate corporate policies and ensure compliance by staff.
- Work in collaboration with other members of the senior management team to develop solutions to organization-wide issues and contribute to their resolution.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a related arts organization or institution as either a programmer, producer, administrator, or combination thereof.
- Very strong skills preparing and managing budgets.
- Financially responsible with excellent financial acumen.
- An ability to execute complex inter-departmental planning and reporting requirements.
- Marketing experience is an asset.
- A mature, experienced team player.
- An ability to understand and effectively balance the expectations of the various TO Live constituencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, negotiation, and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and develop staff and foster a team environment.
- Strong staff management skills including organizational planning and delegation.
- A strong business focus on achieving bottom line results through the integration of financial, contractual, physical, and human resources.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Flexibility in hours and schedules and include work on nights and weekends as required.
- Lack of natural light in workplace.
- Travel between all TO Live venues as required.
TO Live is one of Canada’s largest multi-arts organizations, operating three iconic venues: Meridian Hall (formerly the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts), the St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts and Meridian Arts Centre (formerly the Toronto Centre for the Arts). In addition, TO Live presents a full range of performing arts, theatrical and concert events at these venues in both downtown and uptown Toronto. With these two hubs of creativity and content creation, TO Live has a unique place and perspective to activate creative spaces by inspiring local and international artists, connect audiences and to be the nexus for new ideas, elevate artistic potential, and be the catalyst for creative expression that is reflective of Toronto’s diversity.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should apply through our TO Live careers website at: https://tolive.bamboohr.com/jobs/
No phone calls please. TO Live thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Together with the Toronto Public Service’s (TPS) initiatives, which TO Lives follows and adheres too, TO Live encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ2S persons, and others who may contribute to fostering innovative ideas and solutions.
We ask that you complete the questions provided as part of the online application to assist us in ensuring our recruitment process and programs are equitable and accessible. Your responses are voluntary and the information that you provide is strictly confidential.
We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Start Date: ASAP
Posted by TO Live