Posted by Soulpepper Theatre Company
Reporting to the Senior Production Manager, Soulpepper’s Technical Director works as an integral part of the creative process in collaboration with productions’ designers and the staff with the responsibility for the technical implementation of Soulpepper’s production values. The Technical Director also provides technical support to the Young Centre for the Performing Arts under the terms of a management agreement between Soulpepper Theatre and the Young Centre for the Performing Arts.
KEY RESULTS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises a team that includes Assistant Technical Directors, Department Heads, unionized technical crew, Interns, and seasonal technical staff as needed.
- Assume the lead technical responsibility for all Soulpepper Productions
- Establish both material and labour costing for all production elements; technical and scenic.
- Communicates with designers to realize production’s designs while keeping within budgetary constraints.
- Produces all CAD drawings and other production paperwork.
- Manages budgets for all scenic areas in consultation with the Senior Production Manager
- Ensure all production elements are delivered on schedule and on budget; and reports to the Senior Production Manager and Executive Producer as to the status of production budgets at weekly meetings.
- Engages crew in consultation with the Senior Production Manager.
- Manages the installation of all technical and scenic elements in the theatres.
- Assist the Manager of Building Ops with Young Centre activities and related logistics as required.
- Consults with the GBC Production Manager on performance activities and related logistics as required.
- Manages the build process in the carpentry, paint and prop shops, including scheduling, timely supply of required materials, and safe operations consistent with health and safety policies
- Develop strategies for how Soulpepper production can be best in class in its commitment to environmental sustainability.
- With the Senior PM, contribute to the ongoing conversation about capital maintenance and development of theatre spaces, with a particular focus on equipment replacements and upgrades.
- Contribute to the overall success of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Radical Inclusion, working to ensure that Soulpepper’s values manifest themselves in the department’s work.
- Reports directly to the Senior Production Manager;
- Direct manager of Production Department staff;
- Works in conjunction with the Assistant Production Manager and the Young Centre Manager of Building Ops.
- Indirect manager of Department Heads – Carpentry, Scenic & Properties; direct manager of Stagehands
- Consults, advises, and works collaboratively with Producing department.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 Years’ experience as a Technical Director in theatre or live events
• Professional experience managing Union Stagehands
• High Proficiency in AutoCAD
• Advanced knowledge of theatrical construction techniques and materials
• Awareness of safe and efficient theatrical labour standards
• Theatrical rigging knowledge
• Understanding of typical schedules and timelines for mounting a theatrical production
• Advanced knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound and projection
• Valid G class driver’s license
• Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines
• Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills
• Excellent time management, organizational and administrative skills
• A passion for theatre and live performance
WORKING CONDITIONS AND EFFORT
- Performs most duties at the Young Centre, both in a regular office, backstage and shop environment. Must be available to work regular office hours however, due to the nature of the performing arts environment, often work will occur outside of regular office hours on evenings and weekends.
- Position requires concentration and focus in creating CAD drawings, analysing designs, costing production projects. Occasional physical effort is required lifting and moving scenery, climbing ladders, loading and unloading trucks, and other typical theatre functions.
- Salary $67,000-$72,000
- 15 annual vacation days plus 5 paid sick days and 5 personal days
- Health and dental benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Soulpepper is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and our country. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage submissions from individuals, with proper credentials, of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and abilities.
Soulpepper is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process.
Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application/ hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, will only contact those selected for interviews.
Please email a resume and cover letter detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic not-for-profit arts organization no later than December 9, 2022.
Please quote TD2022 on the email subject line when applying