Posted by FiXT POiNT Arts and Media
Gather Oral Histories to Foster Empathy and Build your Podcasting Skills
The Empathy Squad program trains and equips youth aged 18 to 30 years from across Canada to generate empathy-building dialogue through the collection of stories via interviews and the creation of podcast pieces.
As a participant, you will:
✅ Acquire the knowledge and practical skills needed to produce high-quality audio stories – interviewing and recording techniques, narrative shaping, and audio-editing;
✅ Volunteer in service of your community, learn about what’s important to them through active listening and help foster empathy for their lived experiences;
✅ Experience hands-on learning alongside fellow future leaders and from industry professionals across the country.
- Have a laptop available to you on which you can download and install: Slack (Mac OS / Windows OS), Descript (find system requirements here), Google Chrome, Zoom;
- Attend scheduled Zoom sessions that consist of live demonstrations, instructional videos and feedback sharing from facilitators, Guest Artists and peers;
- Apply learnings by conducting interviews, using audio recording equipment, and completing assignments using audio-editing software, Descript;
- Engage with facilitators and peers using program communication platforms (Slack, Zoom, provided Empathy Squad email address);
- Commit 10-12 hours a week, including scheduled Zoom sessions and work in your own time.
Interested volunteers are asked to fill out our application form here: https://www.fixtpoint.com/empathysquad-apply
NOTE: Applications for Cohorts 15 & 16 are now closed.
Cohorts 17 & 18 will run simultaneously from January to March 2024.
Applications for Cohorts 17 & 18 will remain open until further notice!
Fill out our application form or find the full program schedule at: https://www.fixtpoint.com/empathysquad-apply
Other program details:
Meet and learn from our Guest Artists: Industry professionals who will come and talk about their work process and help you in yours!
The program is delivered completely virtually and provides opportunities for developing skills and artistic practice to capture and preserve community stories to be shared with present and future generations, as well as opportunities for improving your communication and self-expression skills!
With over 100 podcast pieces created, you can listen to them here: https://soundcloud.com/fixtpoint/sets/empathy-squad-squadcasts
The Empathy Squad program is made possible by the Canada Service Corps.
About Fixt Point:
FIXT POINT is a Toronto-based arts & media company with national reach. Our mandate is to inspire audiences and artists to imagine change, and our mission is to promote local culture and preserve local heritage through the telling of tales across multiple platforms. We endeavour to be leaders in public engagement, embedding training and outreach into our process of creation and dissemination. FIXT POINT was founded in 2006 and incorporated as a not-for-profit organization in 2011.
To date, we’ve interviewed over 3,000 Canadians from every province and territory in almost 200 communities in our storymobiles (mobile recording studio on wheels); edited and posted hundreds of oral histories on our storymap; produced two seasons of a TV/web series for TVO; and, most recently, we were awarded Touring Artist of the Year from the Canadian Arts Presenting Association (CAPACOA).
- The Tale of a Town Story Map (http://www.thetaleofatown.com)
- TVO Series (https://tvo.org/programs/main-street-ontario)
Learn more at www.fixtpoint.com.