Posted by The Bentway Conservancy
Position Type: Contract, 16 weeks (December 9, 2021– March 31, 2022)
Location: 55 Fort York Blvd., Toronto ON
Start Date: December 9, 2021
Compensation: $16.00/hr. (40 hours per week for 16 weeks)
Application Deadline: November 12, 2021
The Bentway is seeking an emerging fundraising professional and recent graduate, interested in gaining hands-on experience in the not-for-profit sector for a 16-week internship.
Reporting to the Manager, Fundraising & Partnerships, the Intern will help build a community of supporters for The Bentway Conservancy’s ongoing outreach, programming, and operations. In this role at an exciting city-building organization, the Intern will support fundraising and partnership-building with donors, governments, foundations, and corporations.
This role will work standard business hours, with occasional evenings and weekends required to support Bentway events/programming. Pending COVID-related public health guidelines, this role will be required to split their time between The Bentway’s office (55 Fort York Blvd) and work-from-home (a laptop will be provided).
ABOUT THE BENTWAY
Deeply rooted in Toronto’s urban fabric, The Bentway leads a creative movement to reimagine the possibilities of the Gardiner Expressway. We are an organization of city animators who use public space and public programming to test and demonstrate new
ideas in public art, performance, public infrastructure, and civic engagement. The Bentway Conservancy is a non-profit organization and registered charity that works closely with the City of Toronto, artists & creatives, and local communities to bring our work to life.
Of the city; about the city; for the city
- Building research profiles on key prospects and partners
- Supporting the development of The Bentway’s visitor, constituent, and fundraising database
- Supporting the development of donor/partner stewardship activity
- Processing donation receipts and building queries, reports, etc.
- Helping to prepare grant applications, reports, proposals, and pitch decks for foundation, corporate, and government support
- Providing administrative support to the Fundraising & Partnerships team, Co-Executive Directors, and senior-level volunteers, including briefings notes, research, scheduling site tours and meetings
- Taking minutes at key meetings
- Maintaining filing systems, both database and hard-copy
- Writing, proofing and editing print materials, scripts, speeches, and presentations
- Engaging with similar organizations to develop an understanding of successful practices and programs
- Providing additional support on event-planning
- Other duties as assigned
The Bentway is committed to fostering a positive and supportive environment that
promotes equity and diversity. We invite applications from Indigenous and racialized
people, people with disabilities, and people from 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
- College or university graduate, having graduated within the last 24 months (as per requirements of position-funder)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collect and research data and analyze diverse information to make recommendations to management
- Ability to generate suggestions for improving work and develop innovative approaches and ideas
- Ability to display original thinking and creativity and meet challenges with resourcefulness
- Well organized with a high attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to liaise effectively and respectfully with a wide spectrum of stakeholders
- Some experience in the arts, community and/or environmental sectors
- Some experience working in a fundraising environment and working with software programs (e.g. Raiser’s Edge)
- Basic knowledge of and commitment to fundraising standards and practices (e.g. Donor Bill of Rights)
This is a Young Canada Works job posting. In addition to the minimum job requirements above, applicants must also meet the following eligibility criteria in order to be considered for the position. You are eligible if you:
- Are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- Are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program;
- Are unemployed or underemployed;
- Are a college or university graduate within the past 24-months; and
- Are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program.
Note: Priority will be given to graduates that have not previously participated in YCW internship programs.
If you qualify, please visit Young Canada Works website to register PRIOR to submitting an application to The Bentway.
TO APPLY (by November 12, 2021):
Please respond with a cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position, and a resume. Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email only and should be emailed to:
email@example.com; Subject line: “Fundraising Intern – YOUR NAME”
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.