Posted by Harbourfrontcentre
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an experienced, collaborative and super organized Production Manager to coordinate and oversee the planning and execution of production activities for events and sponsorship activations at the Harbourfront Centre. If you are a pro at multi-tasking, are solution-oriented, thrive in the high-pressure environment of live events, and have impeccable interpersonal and communication skills, we would love to hear from you!
Position Title: Production Manager
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Production
Supervises: Assistant Production Coordinators, Technician
Type of Employment: Full Time 35 hours per week
Summary of Function:
The Production Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing the planning and execution of production activities for events and sponsorship activations at the Harbourfront Centre main building and outdoor venues as assigned and at the Fleck Dance Theatre and Harbourfront Centre Theatre as required. As a Production Manager this position is responsible for assisting the Senior Manager of Production with the development of department training and procedures manuals, training new staff and supporting the centralization of production processes. This role will be responsible for high-profile events and special projects as assigned by the Senior Manager, Production.
• Manage the production activities during assigned events including prioritizing and organizing workflow; responding to problems and ensuring safety procedures are followed.
• Supervise the activities of part-time Assistant Production Coordinator and Technical Services staff during events. Supervise and assist with the execution of assigned events.
• Participate in the performance management of the Assistant Production Coordinator team.
• Act as a resource and coordinate various service departments including, Security, Property, Operations, Digital Transformation and Box Office during the execution of assigned events.
• Assist with annual orientation of the Assistant Production Coordinator resource pool and the Production Office Assistants.
• Assist the Director/Manager on duty during festivals/events as required.
• Plays a mentorship role in the development of new Production Coordinators.
• Provides peer review support for Production Coordinators.
• Provide onsite support in a duty management role in the absence of the Senior Manager, Production.
• Obtain competitive quotes from external vendors and evaluate quotes for accuracy.
• Complete show and event settlements in a timely manner for remittance and invoicing by the Planning Coordinators.
• Reconcile all event expenses and submit invoices and expense reports.
• Make recommendations to Senior Manager, Production on capital purchases of technical and operational equipment.
• Ensure all assigned events, staffing, production schedules and other related functions are captured in Harbourfront Centre’s event management systems Artifax and in Visio.
• Assist the Senior Manager, Production, as required, in the development of operational procedures for the Production department including annual review and updates of the Assistant Production Coordinator and Production Office Assistant role impact manuals.
• Create venue templates and standard set ups in Visio.
• Orientate clients and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics and other areas of facility operations; facilitate the use of the services by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility.
• Five to ten years demonstrated experience in technical/production in theatre, dance, music, festival management, corporate events, and installations.
• Working knowledge of event production techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; patron services; appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
• Strong passion for the arts and client engagement.
• Computer proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Previous experience with event management and CRM databases an asset.
• Computer proficiency in the following programs is considered an asset: Microsoft Visio, QLab, Vectorworks, AutoCAD, Drop Box, Zoom, Artifax and Tessitura.
• Highly effective communication, presentation, interpersonal and relationship building skills required in working with individuals at all levels of the organization, arts and cultural partners, and rental clients; and fostering open and honest relationships and communication, respecting confidentiality.
• Collaborates, seeking and celebrating the contribution of others.
• Results oriented and proactive, with the ability to multitask, prioritize and work independently.
• Uphold the highest ethical standards and a pursuit of excellence and innovation.
• Experience in the not-for-profit sector and corporate event management is desirable.
• Experience producing digital events and content is desirable.
• Knowledge of Canada’s art community considered an asset
• Current Province of Ontario driver’s license or evidence of equivalent mobility and Smart Serve certification considered an asset .
• Understanding of WHMIS and AODA considered an asset.
• Smart Serve and Fall arrest certification considered an asset.
• Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis. This role is based in Toronto.
• Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume and a cover letter, indicating why you wish to join the team, how you would meet the criteria for this key position, your salary expectation and specifying if you are applying for full time or contract position.
Harbourfront is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than August 11, 2022. Please quote Production Manager FT in the subject line of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.