The After School Opera Program annually introduces 300 children ages 7 to 12 to opera as a collective celebration of vocal music, drama and visual arts. Each term, under the guidance of the lead artist, a program assistant, and special guests, children explore opera through singing, composing, and drama. This fun and unique program develops children’s performance and music skills and nurtures their self-confidence. Friends and family are invited to attend a celebratory performance on the final day. The Program Assistant contributes to the accessibility and appreciation of opera, as well as the success of the After School Opera Program, by establishing a safe and welcoming environment in which young participants can engage in creative exploration of the art form.
Starting rate is $16.50/hour
• Providing support to the lead artist and visiting artist-educators including, but not limited to: leading warm-up/focus activities, assisting with set-up and clean-up, actively engaging in program activities and encouraging participants to stay on task, and managing the backstage area during final performances
• Supervising the participants and promoting a safe and welcoming environment
• Taking weekly attendance, distributing letters and notifications created by the COC to parents and guardians, maintaining inventory of supplies, completing a weekly report
This position is best suited for people who have experience working with children and who are interested in the performing arts and arts education, and are looking to gain further experience in community arts education. The ideal candidate:
• Demonstrates responsibility, reliability and experience in working with large groups of children in an educational or recreational environment
• Has a background in music, visual, or performing arts
• Embodies positivity and enthusiasm, displays initiative and has a sense of humour
• Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Some post-secondary education
• Holds, or can acquire, a valid Vulnerable Sector Verification through the Police Reference Check program
• First Aid Certificate is an asset
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by September 8, 2019. The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require any accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
For more information: https://www.coc.ca/asop