Due Date: Monday April 1st, 2019
Position: Full-Time Artistic Director
Optimal Start date: July 2019
Due Date: Monday April 1st, 2019
CAHOOTS THEATRE is accepting applications for the position of ARTISTIC DIRECTOR. We are seeking an individual with an awareness, a devotion and a curiosity for social justice, diversity, and inclusivity to lead our company into the next stage of development.
What we are: A home for artists from the edge.
What we do: We seek, develop, produce and present works that refocus the spotlight. We empower artists. We engage diverse communities.
How we do it: We put the art at the center. We take risks, challenge the status quo and break down barriers. We make decisions through dialogue.
The Artistic Director is responsible for envisioning the artistic and creative programs of the theatre including season programming, the curating of creative teams, dramaturgy, artist development, and public relations. The Artistic Director works collaboratively in partnership with the General Manager on all matters related to company oversight, planning, programming, networking and community building.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, and in discussion with the General Manager, the Artistic Director roles and responsibilities include (see application information package for full description):
- Conceives and implements the artistic vision and strategy with focus on season programming, selection of artists and creative teams, and the curation, development and production of new works
- Ensures that all productions and other programming are in keeping with the aims and policies of Cahoots and its mandate
- Commits to mentorship and outreach, and actively seeks out new works and recruits new artists
Strategic and Operational Management
- Works with the General Manager on all aspects of company planning, programming, fundraising, budgeting, grant and foundation proposals, facility operations, board development, stewardship, networking, and community outreach
Public Relations and Marketing
- Promotes the image of the Cahoots to the general public and within the theatre community
- In conjunction with the General Manager, represents Cahoots to federal, provincial and municipal service organizations and to other outside groups
Funding and Fundraising
- Communicates with donors, potential donors and sponsors throughout the season, soliciting their continued support
- Along with the GM, sources and prepares relevant grant applications; develops and maintains supportive, sustainable and respectful working relationships in the corporate sector; and coordinates fundraising and revenue generation initiatives to support the artistic growth of Cahoots
Terms of Employment
This is a full-time position, with an expectation of 40 hours per week on average (hours of work vary and could include weekends and evenings).
Benefits package: some health benefits included
Vacation: 3 weeks
The ideal candidate for the Artistic Director job will meet most or all of these qualifications:
- A proven artistic track record
- 3-5 years’ experience of artistic administration
- Strong grant-writing and communication skills
- Actively engaged in the theatre community, particularly within disability and/or marginalized communities
- A demonstrated understanding of social justice and anti-oppression approaches
- A broad range of knowledge of disability arts
How To Apply
Please submit CV along with the completed Artistic Director Application Form and three professional references, before end of day, Monday, April 1, 2019.
Please submit by email (PDF or Word format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Artistic Director Application’ in the subject line.
No phone calls please.
We thank all applicants, but please be advised that only those considered for an interview will be contacted.