Deadline: November 15th, 2019
Salary: $55,000 - 65,000
Obsidian is Canada’s leading culturally specific theatre company. Our threefold mission is to produce plays, to develop playwrights and to train emerging theatre professionals. Obsidian is passionately dedicated to the exploration, development, and production of the Black voice.
We are seeking a dynamic, Black-identified leader who can embody the role of mentor and artistic visionary with elegance; a person who will sustain and grow Obsidian responsibly; who will continue to build Obsidian’s power and share it with members of our community in the spirit of radical generosity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Artistic Director will report to the Board. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Creating and activating the artistic vision
- Season programming
- Building partnerships
- Directing season productions, workshops, etc. (if a director)
- Mentoring artists
- Act as a resource for theatres throughout the country
- The administration of the season: 2-4 productions, oversight of ancillary programs
- Fundraising , grant writing, liaising with funding agencies, planning & implementing fundraising initiatives with staff & Board.
- Board/community liaison, strategic planning
- Develop annual operating budget/financial forecasting, setting financial goals w/ GM
The ideal candidate will have:
- proven leadership capability
- min 3 yrs of theatre leadership, admin, OR commensurate experience
- successful track record with grant writing/fundraising
- ability to translate artistic needs & values into institutional strategies & operating plans
- creativity, vision, a sense of humour
- keen sense of fiscal management, business acumen an asset
Beyond that, however: we are looking for someone to be inspired and inspire us with an artistic vision for the company that will “lean into Blackness”, continuing to set the standard for Black excellence in Canadian theatre.
Interested Black-identified candidates are invited to submit:
- your resume
- letter of intent including expanding on each of the following questions:
a) What does Artistic Directorship mean to you?
b) How are you a community leader?
c) Please describe the role mentorship plays, or has played in your life.
d) In recent years, works by artists of colour have been produced in increasing numbers by a range of theatres across the country. Please discuss Obsidian’s relevance in this changing theatre ecology.
Please email the above to email@example.com by November 15th, 2019.
Posted by: Obsidian Theatre Company
For more information: http://www.obsidiantheatre.com/wp-obsidian/wp-content/uploads/Obsidian_AD_Posting_Final.pdf