Social Planning Toronto (SPT) is a non-profit community organization that works to improve equity, social justice and quality of life in Toronto through community capacity building, community education and advocacy, policy research and analysis, and social reporting.
SPT is seeking a full-time Communications Officer, with a proven track record working in the area of communications focused on community development and action.
This position encompasses the development and implementation of the overall communications, public relations and media strategies of SPT.
- Develop and implement internal and external communication strategies/policies;
- Prepare SPT annual communications plan;
- Write and develop press releases, articles, speeches, media kits, and cultivate media relations;
- Manage information on the SPT website (using a popular content management platform) including all content both textual and visual;
- Guide and manage SPT’s social media presence on twitter and facebook
- Develop and maintain media contact list;
- Manage and maintain SPT’s communications database;
- Development and implementation strategies for supporting the communications strategy of the non-profit community sector in Toronto;
- Support positioning and development of materials and applications relevant to resource development;
- Ensure that materials are effectively translated where appropriate;
- Supervise placement students and volunteers as appropriate.
- Undergraduate education in a discipline appropriate and relevant to communications or journalism or equivalent experience in the field;
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in communications or public relations;
- Demonstrated experience in working with media;
- Demonstrated experience and facility with social media and websites;
- Good organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and work independently, collaboratively, flexibly, creatively and with initiative;
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Strong editorial skills for ensuring clear language accessibility;
- Knowledge and awareness of social justice issues affecting the not-for-profit community sector;
- Interested applicants are invited to submit a letter of application and resume to: Maria Serrano, Director of Experience in a variety of design programs such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in the design and layout of journals, texts, and pamphlets an asset;
- Knowledge of online CRM databases for tracking communication networks an asset;
- Familiarity with Google Apps, blogging, webinars and social networks is an asset;
- Public relations and/or marketing experience in the not-for profit sector is an asset
SPT is committed to employment equity, and welcomes applicants from the full diversity of the community. The successful candidate will become a CUPE 1777 member.
SALARY RANGE: $45,102.00 - $61,816.00. The deadline for applications is May 6, 2016.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a letter of application and resume to: Maria Serrano, Director of Operations, at email@example.com