The Canadian Opera Company (COC) is looking for a skilled and sensitive design specialist for the COC’s Summer Opera Camps.
The design specialist develops and leads design creation activities with children in the Junior Company (entering grades 4 to 6), and works with a music director and a drama specialist to steer the performance preparation process. The design specialist will report to the children and youth programs co-ordinator. The design specialist position is a one-week contract position that will run from July 11 to 15, 2016 and will include three planning meetings in April, May, and June 2016.
• Develop, plan, and lead design creation activities (set, costume, and props) with children in grades 4 to 6;
• Establish a welcoming and inclusive learning environment and alter the program according to the needs and abilities of the children;
• Handle issues with participants and their parents/guardians should they arise and seek support from COC staff when necessary;
• Engage assistants and volunteers in programming by providing clear directions on how they can support the participants in their activities;
• Complete administrative tasks associated with planning and delivering camps.
• Post-secondary education and/or commensurate experience in stage design (including set, costume, and props)
• Extensive background designing for the stage
• Considerable experience working with, and leading, small and large groups of children
• Connection to or interest in opera
• Proven ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Holds, or agrees to acquire, a valid Vulnerable Sector Verification through the Police Reference Check program
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and up to ten images of stage design (especially design education) to email@example.com or fax: 416-363-5584. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Closing date: Thursday, April 14, 2016
For more information about Summer Opera Camps and all of the COC’s education and outreach initiatives, please visit our website at www.coc.ca/Camps or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Posted by: Canadian Opera Company
For more information: http://www.coc.ca/AboutTheCOC/EmploymentandVolunteering/EmploymentOpportunities/DesignSpecialistSummerCamps