Toronto Dance Theatre (TDT) is seeking an Event Coordinator to join its small and dynamic administrative team.
This is the perfect contract for a young professional eager to implement new ideas in support of one of Canada’s leading contemporary dance companies.
Application Deadline: September 23, 2016
Position: Event Coordinator
Term: Contract: October 2016 to June 1, 2017
Location: Toronto – Cabbagetown
Start Date: October 2016
Entering its 49th season, TDT is recognized for the intelligent, provocative vision of its choreography and the exceptional artistry of its dancers. The company was founded in 1968 by Peter Randazzo, Patricia Beatty and David Earle, and has been under the artistic direction of Christopher House since 1994. During these years, TDT has produced a remarkable body of original Canadian choreography and has had – and continues to have – a profound influence on the development of dance in Canada. The company performs annually at Toronto’s Harbourfront Centre and at its own Winchester Street Theatre in Cabbagetown, where it shares its home with the affiliated School of Toronto Dance Theatre. TDT maintains a regular presence from coast to coast in Canada, and has toured extensively in the USA, Europe and Asia.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, the Event Coordinator will have the following responsibilities:
• Coordinate the company’s signature spring fundraiser, Tour de Danse
• Organize donor events (1-2/year)
• Assist with the implementation of TDT’s cultivation and stewardship programming, including producing thank you letters and tax receipts, and ensuring all donors are appropriately acknowledged, recognized and thanked on TDT print and e-communications
• Coordinate all hospitality for company events, including TDT productions at the Winchester Street Theatre; this involves applying for Special Occasions Permits and organizing bar/concessions
• Volunteer coordination for all TDT events, including TDT productions at the Winchester Street Theatre
• Coordinate online fundraising auction, including collecting prizes and liaising with Board
• Assist with the preparation of fundraising proposals for corporations and foundations, and in-kind requests
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor records in the company’s database (Sumac)
• Assist with grant applications as required, particularly the collection and tracking of statistical information
Responsibilities – Administrative/General
• Maintain office supplies and ensure equipment is in good repair and fully functional
• With other staff, answer phones and respond to general inquiries
• When required, process payments for guests attending daily company class
• Assist with Board-related events and meeting coordination as required
• Assist with TDT education and outreach events, such as Studio Series, as required
• A related college or university degree and/or at least two years of experience in an arts organization
• The ability to think creatively, work independently, and take initiative
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle competing priorities in a small, fast-paced work environment
• Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, and/or Adobe Photoshop, in addition to Microsoft Office suite of software programs (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
• Experience with database management
• The availability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
A knowledge of contemporary dance and passion for the performing arts, the ability to stay calm under pressure, and a good sense of humour are definite assets!
Send a cover letter (separate from email, please) and resumé by email with the subject line “Event Coordinator Search” by 5:00 p.m. on September 23, 2016 to:
Andrea Vagianos, Managing Director
Toronto Dance Theatre
80 Winchester Street
Toronto, On M4X 1B2
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.