THE PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION OF CANADIAN THEATRES SEEKS FINANCE & HR SPECIALIST
Do you have the skills we need? In a split role that supports PACT organizationally in finance and administration and engages with theatre companies as a consultant and service provider, we are looking for someone with bookkeeping and human resources experience. An office manager with HR skills you never get to use? A Human Resources professional with a comfort with numbers?
If you are interested in pursuing a career in supporting and enhancing a dynamic and diverse Canadian professional theatre community, this could be the job for you!
This dual-aspect position is responsible for a) ensuring timely, efficient and cost-effective administration of PACT’s financial and administrative programs in support of our strategic and operational goals and b) the provision of consulting and support to member companies on issues related to HR and employer compliance. The Finance & Human Resources Specialist works under the direction of the Executive Director. This is a full-time, salaried position.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Human Resource Services (3-3.5 days week)
- Providing consultation around employer compliance and employment standards in relation to Canadian theatre
- Assist with the development of and training in HR policies, practices and administrative systems/processes
- Assist with the development of and best practice sharing in performance management and employee retention (employee appraisal, coaching, compensation, career development programs)
- Consulting with members around specific issues, such as work complaints and harassment allegations
- Planning, developing, and publishing the guide to Human Resources in Canadian Theatre and digital resources for members
- Supporting the creation of a formal training program in HR in Canadian Theatre
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and staff, foster deeper relationships with relevant organizations such as workinculture, Cultural Human Resources Council, etc.
Financial Administration (1.5-2 days a week)
- All day to day bookkeeping functions including: accounts receivable, payable, general journal entries, bank deposits, monthly reconciliation etc.
- Supporting the Executive Director in the development of annual budgets and to conduct monthly assessments of those projections as well as support for statistics and financial reporting for grant applications
- Administration of PACT’s Finance Committee.
- Preparing of and responsibility for the accuracy of, the financial records and reports, including all internal statements and government reporting (e.g. Source Deductions, HST, T3010 etc).
- Responsibility for for investment management (subject to board established guidelines under the direction of the ED).
- Payroll administration for all employees and contractors (including annual T4/T4A filing and ROE preparation), including administration of PACT’s employee benefit program
- Pre-audit preparation and work with the company auditors for the year-end statements
- Recommendation/implementation of changes to improve the financial health of the organization.
- Maintenance of relationships with bank managers, auditors, insurance brokers and other outside professionals as required.
- Experience in a bookkeeping, accounts payable or receivable, or equivalent financial administrative role
- Experience in or understanding of computerized bookkeeping systems (QuickBooks and/or Sage)
- Proficiency with computers and strong Microsoft Office skills (i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point)
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a human resources or staff management role
- Understanding of employment standards legislation and employer requirements including but not limited to WSIB, CRA, and other compliance matters
- And, of course,
- Dependable and reliable
- Ability to work well under pressure and with a variety of people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (able to write a compelling proposal, a persuasive business letter or engage in successful telephone negotiations)
- Commitment to ensuring the success of the Professional Association of Canadian theatres through rigorous financial management and member support.
- Strong Assets:
- Experience in and/or aptitude for public speaking and/or leading workshops
- Experience in a non-for-profit organization
- Experience at a professional theatre company as a department manager with experience in using the negotiated agreements used in professional Canadian theatre
- Completion of College/CEGEP/vocational or technical training in accounting, bookkeeping, or human resources
- Status or pursual of status with a governing body (i.e. CPHR – Chartered Professionals in Human Resources re: CHRP designation)
The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres is a member-driven organization of professional Canadian theatres which serves as the collective voice of its members. For the betterment of Canadian theatre, PACT provides leadership, national representation and a variety of programs and practical assistance to member companies, enabling members to do their own creative work. For more information visit www.pact.ca
We aim to be a responsive organization, cognizant of the needs of our members and the community as a whole in order to offer programs and services that benefit our community.
We strive to be representative of the true breadth of professional theatre in this country, and work to make sure we are an inclusive organization that provides value for all theatre companies in Canada
The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
Compensation: This is a full-time position with competitive salary including employee group benefits.
Deadline: Applications to be received by 5:30pm EST, April 7 2017.
Submissions by email only: Please send your resume, with a covering letter, stating salary expectations, as well as three references (all in PDF format please) with the subject line “Application for Finance & HR Specialist role” to Executive Director, Sara Meurling - email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.