The Tarragon Theatre is seeking an Interim Technical Director to fill a full-time, seasonal position.
The Technical Director is a management position within the production department with a primary focus on scenic construction, CAD drawing, show costing, crew management, technical requirements and health and safety. The position requires a self-motivated, organized individual with the ability to multi-task and prioritise.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Implementing all technical aspects of the productions within established budgets and schedules while maintaining the highest production standards possible
- Preparing preliminary and final costings for each set design
- Creating and updating AutoCAD construction drawings of all scenery elements for each production
- Locating, costing and ordering all scenic materials, soft goods, rigging etc.
- Supervising the heads of each department during the season in conjunction with the Production Manager
- Scheduling and supervising the construction of all scenic elements by the Head Carpenter
- Supervising load-ins, set-ups, level sessions, onstage rehearsals and strikes in all performance spaces
- Providing feedback to the Production Manager on install schedules, materials budgets and casual crew needs
- Responding to rehearsal notes and show reports
- Assisting Stage Management with rehearsal hall set-ups and strikes
- Attending all production meetings
- Creating and maintaining AutoCAD drawings of the theatre’s performance spaces
- University or college degree in theatre production, or equivalent training
- 3 years’ experience as a Technical Director or Assistant Technical Director in a theatrical setting
- Proven experience producing accurate show costing in a theatrical environment
- Ability to read, interpret and produce technical drawings in AutoCAD according to Architectural standards
- Experience creating set construction drawings in a theatre environment
- An understanding of current production and technical practices within theatre including sound, lighting, projection and set construction
- Experience managing diverse crew members in a theatre production environment
- Excellent communications and organisational skills
- As with most positions in the theatre, occasional work is required evenings and weekends throughout the season.
- The interim contract runs from August 4, 2015 to November 15, 2015, for a total of 15 weeks.
Interested applicants should apply via email to Eleanor Antoncic, Production Manager email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 5pm Friday June 19, 2015. Please reference Interim Technical Director in the subject line.
Applications should include a cover letter and resume, including references. Only those applicants selected for an
interview will be contacted. Interviews will take place at Tarragon Theatre the week of June 29 – July 3, 2015.
Tarragon Theatre is one of Canada’s oldest and most respected mid-sized theatres and is a leader in the field of new
Canadian plays. Tarragon Theatre is dedicated to discovering and mentoring artists who tell Canadian stories. Tarragon believes in equal opportunities in the arts for everyone. We welcome applications from candidates of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
For more information about the theatre, please visit our website at www.tarragontheatre.com