Reporting to the Board of Directors, jointly with the Artistic Director, the Managing Director of Tarragon Theatre is responsible for the financial and administrative oversight of the organization.
This includes strategic planning, board relations, financial stability, staff management, venue management, revenue development, audience development and community engagement.
The successful candidate will combine the highest level of professional knowledge of arts management with strong leadership skills and management acumen. The Managing Director will require the ability and leadership to play a significant role in revenue generation to include subscriptions, single and group ticket sales, enhancement of the audience experience as well as the cultivation and high level solicitations in both the corporate and individual philanthropic community.
Tarragon Theatre, located in Toronto, Ontario, is primarily a theatre devoted to the creation, development and production of new Canadian plays. This work is complimented with the presentation of international and classical plays. With a budget of over $2.5 million, we produce a ten-month season of seven to eight plays in our Mainspace 205 seat theatre, the Extraspace 108 seat theatre and the 60 seat Workspace theatre. We occasionally tour. Tarragon has an active education/outreach program. Our studios and smaller theatre are used extensively by the arts community towards the creation of new plays.
We are looking for a Managing Director who will be:
- A creative manager and strategic thinker with demonstrated leadership skills
- Committed to the development of works by Canadian playwrights and the production of Canadian plays
- Capable of playing an important role in fundraising and relationship management with major benefactors
- Knowledgeable about theatre both nationally and internationally
- Prepared to work collaboratively with the artistic director
- Eager to work collaboratively with a 20-person staff and a 15-member Board of Directors
- A skillful communicator, in person and in writing, who is willing and able to represent the theatre to its audience and the wider public
- Development of recommendations and action plans to ensure the long-term health and viability of the organization
- The overall financial management of the company including the preparation of budgets, financial reporting and stewardship
- Working closely with the Board of Directors (in collaboration with the Director of Development) to implement fundraising strategies
- The effective direction of the theatre’s administrative functions and non-production programs
- The negotiation of employment contracts with artists and staff members
- Preparation of applications and reports to government and foundation funders
- The management and maintenance of the facility (in collaboration with the production manager and facilities manager)
- Active participation in the arts community through various community organizations
- The organization of board meetings
- A minimum of 5 years in senior management in a performing arts organization, preferably theatre. This experience should demonstrate a passion for the role of the arts within the life of a community.
- Demonstrated leadership in annual fundraising campaigns. Knowledge of capital campaigns will be a definite asset.
- A comprehensive knowledge of the performing arts as well as all aspects of arts venue management.
- A performing arts professional with strong networks within the cultural sector.
- Excellent analytical, financial and organizational skills as well as the ability to build and maintain relationships with a broad range of stakeholders, and to enhance the community’s understanding of the role and vision of Tarragon Theatre.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please send a comprehensive cover letter and resume, no later than September 21, 2017 to:
Tarragon Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.