An 11-year-old, agile, non-profit theatre company based in Toronto, with an international scope. Our work is inventive, cross-cultural, and reflects our passion for the exploration of difference. We challenge the status quo by examining what stories are being told and who is telling them. More than just a theatre company, we develop creative strategies to build a healthier and stronger arts ecology. We MAKE and tour critically-acclaimed and award-winning new work, SHARE resources with other companies and artists to produce and tour their work, and PROVOKE change through new producing models and the presentation of work for new audiences. We are led by a core team of Founding Artistic Director Ravi Jain, Managing Director Owais Lightwala, and Executive Producer Kelly Read.
As we continue to grow and expand our impact, we are looking to bring on a full-time Producer to help produce our many local productions and presentations, national and international tours, and the RISER collaborative producing model, reporting to the Executive Producer and the core team of Why Not Theatre.
You are someone who:
- is passionate about supporting artists in realizing their vision;
- has a deep understanding of and experience with producing non-profit theatre in Canada; - is personally and professionally invested in equity and social justice;
- is constantly looking for better ways to do things;
- is well versed in Canadian Actors’ Equity Association's ITA and CTA agreements;
- likes collaborating and working closely with many kinds of partners - artists, designers, technicians, venues, other producers, audiences, and donors (to name a few);
- operates well in a paperless environment with digital tools like Google Drive/Docs/Sheets; - has a keen eye for detail and loves budgets, contracts, and planning;
- is adaptable and able to shift gears frequently;
- learns quickly and looking to grow.
It would also be awesome if you had any of the following:
- a strong background and experience in technical theatre and production;
- experience in marketing, communications, and audience development;
- experience producing and managing tours nationally and internationally;
- a G-class Ontario driver’s license (or equivalent).
You would be responsible for:
- creation and execution of logistical production elements: schedules, budgets, shipping, personnel, travel and accommodations, venue and production coordination;
- creation and coordination of project specific contracting, including but not limited to personnel, venues, co-productions, and presentation agreements;
- creation and execution of project specific marketing and communications strategy: social media channels, PR, newsletters, etc;
- both leading and assisting producing logistics such as managing complimentary tickets, VIPs invites, donor benefits, audience and customer service, organization of fundraising events, etc;
- leading the RISER Project (our collaborative producing model), as a producer liaison between various senior partner companies, participating artists, RISER personnel, and other parties;
- supporting Why Not with administrative functions including purchasing, filing, internal paperwork, coordinating communications with partners, coordinating distribution of print marketing material, online materials and other tasks as needed.
How much time will it take?
A permanent full-time position, approx 40 hours per week, mostly between Mon-Fri 10a-6pm, with some evenings and weekends required during show runs and tours. Minimum of 2 weeks paid vacation time, and up to a maximum of 4 weeks paid vacation.
How much will it pay?
$45,000 (exact salary TBC based on experience) plus a health and dental benefits package, support for Professional Development activities in related courses of study, travel/accoms/per diems for any festivals/conferences/events attended on behalf of the Company.
How to apply?
Please send your resume, and a short cover letter (no more than 1 page) telling us:
- Who you are and what training/background/experience you’ve had so far;
- Why are you, or why do you want to be, a Producer?
- Why do you want to work for Why Not?
By email to email@example.com by 11:59 pm on Sunday Sept 16th, 2018. We’ll be interviewing candidates immediately with the goal of welcoming the successful candidate to the Why Not team as soon as possible.
As a company that values diversity of background, culture, and perspective in our team, we highly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and different abilities to self-identify when applying. We will aim to accommodate accessibility requests for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We regret that our offices are not fully wheelchair accessible at this time.