Deadline: November 4, 2020
Date Posted: Oct 27, 2020
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed beginning Nov 4 Salary: $37,500-$40,000, commensurate with experience
Region: Metro Toronto Area
Desired Start Date: November 30, 2020
Kaeja d'Dance - Established in 1991, Kaeja d’Dance is an award-winning Toronto based dance company that is renowned for creating provocative contemporary dance works, dance films and empowering education, community & outreach programs.
At the heart of Kaeja are two dynamic energies – Co Artistic Directors Karen & Allen Kaeja. The company collaborates with international and local dance artists, composers, musicians, stage & costume designers to create performances that push the boundaries of Canadian contemporary dance and infuse local and international communities with exciting new experiences both on and off the stage.
With over 160 original works including commissions here and abroad, the company develops innovative performance platforms for professional and community dance artists provoking collaborative relationships between the body and the everyday. https://www.kaeja.org/
Kaeja d’Dance is seeking a Project and Communications Manager to join our small, vibrant team and help us build audience and engagement and deliver exciting artistic and community- focused projects. The PCM is responsible for developing effective communications strategies to our many stakeholders including audiences, community participants, donors and for executing these strategies from start to finish. This includes, but is not limited to, updating and maintaining the website, designing posters and flyers, and editing short video trailers. The PCM will also manage the coordination of our events and performances including community workshops and the annual Porch View Dances festival. It is an exciting opportunity for an individual who is highly-organized, motivated, has a flare for design, a passion for live performance, and works well independently and in collaboration with our team.
COMMUNICATIONS & DESIGN (30%) Ongoing
- Create general annual communications plan
- Create marketing plans unique to each production
- Design and create Kaeja’s annual report for funders
- Keep website updated
- Create copy for communications
- Preparation of bi-monthly e-newsletters via Constant Contact
- Maintain and update photo & video databases in company server
- Keep social media channels active and monitored
- Create posters, postcards, programs, advertisements for both print and digital
- Create video advertisements/trailers
- Create listings on city-wide event boards
- Lead producer & project manager on all public events, performances and fundraisers
- Create project timeline for each company production
- Manage project teams and timelines, including fundraising events
- Apply for permits as needed
- Work with contracted publicist on press releases
- Create rehearsal schedules as needed
- Prepare agendas for production meetings
- Create process documentation or update existing documentation
- Supervise and manage summer employees and volunteers
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING (15%) Ongoing
- Promote Kaeja’s educational programming
- Expand Kaeja’s educational programming to new markets and new audiences
- Secure teachers for workshops and classes
- Communicate with educational contacts (i.e. contacts at various school boards, danceacademies, etc.)
COMMUNITY & PARTNERSHIPS (15%) Project-Specific
- Engage community members to participate in community-oriented projects
- Run info sessions/orientation sessions for community projects
- Connect with local businesses/partners for sponsorships
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers
GENERAL ADMIN SUPPORT (10%) Ongoing
- Communicate with Board of Directors regarding upcoming meetings
- Draft agendas for Board of Directors meetings
- Assist in organization of archival materials
- Keep contact database up-to-date
- Keep organized files in the company server
- Assist Managing Director with grants
- Highly organized
- Able to juggle multiple priorities at once
- Self-driven and motivated
- Amazing communication skills, both written and verbal, and able to speak with andrelate to all manner of people (Board of Directors, Community Members, Dancers,Partners, etc.)
- Excellent note-taker
- Able to keep a cool head under tight deadlines and rise to a challenge
- Experience managing small teams
- Experienced in marketing, design and communications
- Some production experience
Must be comfortable using:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Products: Acrobat, Photoshop, Premiere or other video editing software
- Web Design: Kaeja uses Wix, should have some experience using some kind of webbuilder, Wix-preferred
- Google Products: Google Drive, Google Docs primarily
This is a full-time position M-F, 37.5hr/week. Occasional over-time/evening or weekend work as needed during production times.
We are open to applicants from a wide range of education backgrounds and lived experience for this position. We are seeking individuals with training and expertise in communications, community engagement, and project leadership. Experience working in the arts or other creative industries will be considered an asset. Individuals who feel they have the skills and competencies required to meaningfully contribute to this position are encouraged to apply.
- 2 weeks of vacation annually (increasing to 3weeks after the 1st year), plus an additional week off when we close the office from Dec 25 – Jan 1.
- Time off in-lieu
- Flexibility to work remotely on communication and admin dutiesNb: once in-person events resume, the PCM will be required on-site for productions
Kaeja d’Dance is committed to continue work to reduce barriers to participation in our events and employment. We welcome and encourage applications from all who are legally able to work in Canada, including those who self-identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, and/or LGBTQ2S+ and/or any other minority.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submission deadline: We will begin reviewing applications after Nov 4, 2020.
- Please email your cover letter, resume as one single pdf document to email@example.com the subject line “Communications & Production Manager”
- The position will remain open until filled.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Name: Yolanda Ferrato