Application Deadline: June 3, 2021 at 5pm
Start Date: June 14, 2021 to October 1, 2021
Salary: $300 / filming day (4 full days) + $250 / filming a musical act (two shorter days) + $500 for preparations
Contract type: seasonal contract
Dusk Dances welcomes and will prioritize hiring arts professionals who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups including IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, disabled, and/or any other minority, to join our team.
About Dusk Dances
Dusk Dances is an outdoor dance festival that brings dance to public parks. As dusk descends, a theatrical host leads the audience to an array of unique dance pieces that unfold in different areas of the park. In 2021, Dusk Dances will celebrate its 27th season.
In 2021, live performances in the parks will not be possible, and we are therefore preparing our second virtual edition that will be presented in two ways:
- through a series of outdoor screenings showcasing the virtual edition to small audiences (accompanied by a live band, a host and a short live dance performance);
- online, in October 2021.
We are looking for a dynamic and experience Technical Director to join our production team for Dusk Dances 2021. The Technical Director will work closely with Film Director and Director of Photography William Yong, the choreographers and dancers that will be featured in the 2021 virtual edition, and with Festival Director Sylvie Bouchard and General Manager Marketa Tokova, to coordinate and ensure all technical requirements for the film, including sound.
The Technical Director must be available for preparations in June and July (approx. 20 hours of work) and for all the filming periods (one filming day and one rain date):
• June 26 and 27, 2021
• July 4 and 11, 2021
• July 17 and 18, 2021
• July 25, 2021 and one rain date to be scheduled
• 2 other days to be scheduled
The exact schedule will be confirmed during the hiring process. The Technical Director may be asked to support the production of the outdoor screenings in Toronto (to be discussed and agreed upon with the candidate). Additional fees would be negotiated.
The ideal candidate for the position of the Technical Director would:
• Have a solid proven experience working in the performing arts / film in a technical capacity.
• Have excellent communication skills (in writing and speaking).
• Have the ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and adapt easily to changes. • Have the ability to prioritize, respect deadlines and effectively manage multiple tasks. • Have solid competence in planning and coordination.
• Have the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff and individuals within Dusk Dances and in the communities, they work with.
• Be fully available to the filming schedule and open to the possibility to support the outdoor screenings, if required.
• Have a driving license (for cargo vans).
• Setting up the technical gear and set pieces for each work with, when needed, the help of another member of the production team for each filming day.
• Coordinating the set up and strike for each piece during each filming day with, when needed, other members of the technical team.
• Collaborating with the technical team (Director of Photography, Second Cameraman, Stage Manager, etc.) in all matters regarding the filming of Dusk Dances 2021, including technical requirements, power, equipment, gear etc.
• Pick-up and drop off of the cargo van / production van from the rental facility and drive the vehicle, if needed and as required.
• Pick-up and drop off set pieces and equipment for the filming day as required, prior to and upon completion of Dusk Dances 2021.
• Being physically present at the filming location at all call times, as scheduled or as deemed necessary by the Festival Director.
• Participating in all the production and technical meetings, as scheduled and required by Dusk Dances.
• Other tasks associated with or related to the production management of the event, as assigned by the Festival Director.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com (with “Technical Director application” in the subject line) by June 3, 2021 at 5pm.
Interviews will take place from June 4 to 10, 2021.
All applicants will be contacted.
Name: Marketa Tokova