March 23, 2019 9:30am - 5:00pm
INDIE X brings together independent theatre artists/art makers, arts managers, producers and companies in a spirit of collaboration to build strong networks between emerging and established members of the performing arts community.
Keynote speaker Mel Hague, Artistic Associate: New Work Development + Festival Director, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, kicks off this year's INDIE X. The Keynote will be followed by five interactive panels:
- Contracts Are Not Your Enemy In this session, we review the types of contracts you will encounter and why you should use them.
- Demystifying Working Models: Navigating Relationships Between Indie & Established Theatre Companies In this session, presenters provide insight into their working models that best support independent companies.
- DIY-not? From rental agreements, to bank loans to applying for charitable status, this panel focuses on successes, failures and hardships of running a space in a congested and costly city.
- Risky Art, Safe Space This panel explores methods of best practice, shares stories of positive rehearsal experience, and offers ideas as to how we can support each other in making great art.
- Theatre Practice in an Age of Global Climate Crisis This facilitated roundtable discussion will tackle some burning questions inherent to theatre production surviving in a warming world.
Lunchtime Keynote speaker Tim Jones, Chief Executive Officer, Artscape
Back Again at INDIE X this year!
- Speed IDEAting, an opportunity for creative minds to meet, share, and learn from others in the arts community through speedy 2 minute discussions. Fast-paced, creative minds, thought provoking talks. When was the last time you were on a date that good?
- Open Space, the perfect opportunity to post questions on topics that interest you! Freely move between groups and join in on conversations that stem from the experiences of all our INDIE X participants
Come learn, network, and be inspired at the INDIE X 2019
INDIE X SCHEDULE at a GLANCE - Click HERE for the full schedule
- 9:00am Doors open and Check In
- 9:30am Opening Remarks and Keynote
- 10:25am SPEED IDEAting
- 11:25am Panel
- 12:20pm Lunch/Lunchtime Keynote Speaker
- 1:15pm - 3:45pm Panels
- 3:45pm Open Space/Wrap Up
- Early Bird Online Registration: $20.00 (incl. service fee & HST) Closes Wednesday March 20 at 5:00pm
- March 20, 2019 after 5:00pm online and Same Day Registration at venue: $25.00 (incl. HST) cash only
INDIE X WORKING GROUP
Beth Brown – Nightwood Theatre, Daniel Carter – Paprika Festival, Scott Dermody – TAPA, Lucy Eveleigh – Toronto Fringe Festival, Thalia Gonzalez Kane – Crave Productions,
Jacoba Knaapen - TAPA, Kevin Ormsby – Kashe Dance, Gail Packwood – Associated Designers of Canada, Bri Proke – Blood Pact Theatre and Chris Reynolds - SummerWorks
ABOUT INDIE X
Over two decades ago, The Indie Trade Forum was conceived as a two day conference focusing on challenges and issues specific to indie theatre producers. Over the years, the Indie Trade Forum morphed into the TAPA Trade Series which provides ongoing professional development to the full spectrum of TAPA members all year-long. Recognizing the shifting demographics and needs of the current indie environment, TAPA is proud to present the re-conceived version of the Indie Theatre Trade Forum - INDIE X. INDIE X is presented by the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts.
INDIE X and TAPA gratefully acknowledges the support of our partners:
Logo design by Marie-Noëlle Hébert www.mnhebert.com