Deadline: Friday, January 5th - 11:59pm
Dusk Dances’ 2018 Guest Curator Michael Caldwell is inviting applications for dance works, to be presented at Dusk Dances Withrow Park, in Toronto, from August 6 -12, 2018.
We are specifically looking for proposals for a remount/re-imagination/
Dusk Dances is an outdoor dance festival that brings high quality contemporary and traditional dance to public parks. As dusk descends, a theatrical host leads the audience - which invariably includes children, dog walkers and local residents - to eclectic dance pieces that unfold in different areas of the park.
Choreographers from various backgrounds are invited to perform a ten (10)-minute piece inspired by the park’s natural environment. Audiences are invited on a pay-what-you-can basis to an innovative site-specific festival, which is not only an artistic event but a social and cultural one as well. 2018 will mark the 24th season of Dusk Dances, and will be programmed by Guest Curator, Michael Caldwell.
- have recently presented three (3) choreographic works;
- be a professional dance artist, who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
*We will not accept proposals from students currently enrolled in a post-secondary college, university or conservatory institution.
Please provide the following information and support material:
- contact information (name, address, phone, email, website);
- a biography, which includes information about your choreographic experience (recent works, residencies, commissions, awards, etc.);
- a one-paragraph piece description of the proposed work;
- a short paragraph re: your previous experience with creating works in site-specific venues, highlighting any outdoor presentations;
- a brief statement, describing your interest in adapting this proposed work for a 10-minute presentation in an outdoor setting, and how you will accomplish this;
- an online link to a full-version of your proposed work.*
*If you are proposing an excerpt of a longer work, please submit the full-length video, and identify the section (s) that you plan to remount (include time code markers).
*If you are proposing a work that is not yet finished, please submit as much video documentation of movement development as possible.
*Please do not include additional video documentation for other choreographic works - we will only view video of your proposed work.
Dusk Dances provides:
- a presentation fee;
- travel/accommodation/per-diem for out-of-town artists only;
- outside eye services from the Festival Director Sylvie Bouchard and the Guest Curator Michael Caldwell;
- all logistics for the festival;
- technical personnel and equipment (including microphones and sound systems);
- marketing and publicity (posters, postcards, newsletters, social media, house programs, etc.).
Dusk Dances is an equal-opportunities employer. We encourage applications from all cultures and backgrounds, with specific attention to marginalized communities.
If you have any questions re: your submission, please email Michael Caldwell (Guest Curator) at email@example.com. Artists will only be contacted if the proposed work is being considered for presentation.
Thank you for your interest in Dusk Dances!