Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021
Red Sky Performance is bringing our award-winning production Mistatim to the screen for an engaging digital experience. Working with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Mistatim will be reimagined to include newly created music by four Indigenous music creators and eight TSO musicians, who will explore and learn together. The collaboration will include four mentorship sessions with leading Indigenous and TSO musicians, creators, and composers.
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
- Indigenous music creators from across Canada and the United States with a strong interest in music collaboration.
- The composition, collaboratively created, will be 15 minutes.
- It is not necessary to read or write music.
PROJECT TIMELINE: March 15 – May 20, 2021
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 12, 2021
- Music composition and collaboration (online/Zoom) (March 15-April 30)
- Music mentorship sessions (online/Zoom) (March 15-May 7, 2021)
- Music video/audio capture (May 7-20, 2021) in Toronto.
HOW TO APPLY:
(1) Statement: A brief video or written statement outlining why you want to be part of this collaboration, what you hope to gain, and what you plan to contribute as a music creator -- 250 words or 2 minutes maximum.
(2) Resume: A brief resume including musical instruments, experience, touring, collaborations, training, and accomplishments -- one-page maximum.
(3) Music Sample: A sample of your work in digital audio and/or video file (i.e., mp3) or web link (i.e., YouTube, Vimeo) -- 5-15 minutes in length.
(4) Music Score: A sample music score IF you have experience creating a score. This is not mandatory but will be reviewed as part of the adjudication process if you have it. The score may be for music composition, film, music video, or theatre work.
Apply to: Email your application to Kathy Morrison, General Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 12, 2021 at midnight.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Applicants will be shortlisted based on their submitted material and then invited to participate in a brief interview (on Zoom) with adjudicators after which final decisions will be made.
Applicants will be notified by February 19 and selected music creators will begin March 15, 2021.
An artist fee will be paid to selected Indigenous music creators. The fee will be commensurate with experience.
Red Sky Performance and Toronto Symphony Orchestra will adhere to provincial COVID-19 health and safety guidelines. Due to current health guidelines and travel restrictions, this project will take place online (primarily via Zoom).
An unforgettable story of reconciliation, Mistatim is about the taming of a wild horse and the truest of friendships. Under a prairie sky, a simple wooden fence is all that separates Calvin on his ranch and Speck on her reservation. In many ways they are worlds apart, that is until a wild horse named Mistatim turns their worlds upside down. Red Sky’s award-winning production for young audiences, Mistatim will be transformed into an exciting, multi-faceted digital film experience.
ABOUT RED SKY
Red Sky Performance is a leading company of contemporary Indigenous performance in Canada and worldwide. Now in our 20th year of performance (dance, theatre, music, and media), Red Sky’s work highlights the originality and power of contemporary performance, enabling new creations to expand the breadth and scope of Indigenous-made work in Canada.
ABOUT TORONTO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
One of Canada’s most respected arts organizations, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra plays a vital role in the city’s dynamic cultural life. Committed to serving local and national communities through vibrant performances and expansive educational activities, the TSO is a unique musical ambassador for Canada around the world.
Adjudicators will comprise of representatives from Red Sky Performance and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.