CanAsian Dance is accepting applications for its 2020 KickStart Festival commissions.
CanAsian’s KickStart commissions choreographers, challenging them to develop and perform a short work that represents a significant new direction or constructive disruption to their approach to choreography. KickStart’s support includes mentorship, dramaturgy, and professionally produced performances.
This year we are collaborating with Festival Accés Asie and Tangente to produce performances in both Toronto and Montreal.
Your proposal must:
- articulate a question or proposition that you plan to research;
- suggest a creative process that will expand your current dance practices, knowledge, aesthetic and/or skills;
- include an investigation into an Asian-based concept, principle or practice as an aspect of the proposal; and
- show how this represents a fresh perspective or investigation into your choreography.
Ontario and Québec based applicants of any race and cultural background will be considered.
Choreographers will be considered at various levels of professional experience from emerging to accomplished, provided they have at least 5 publicly presented works.
Successful applicants will receive:
- A fee to help cover research and creation costs (dependent on funding support).
- Performances in Toronto and Montreal in spring 2020, presented in collaboration with Festival Accés Asie and Tangente.
- The support of an accomplished mentor-dramaturg to provide dramaturgical guidance and provocations.
- Travel expenses for the Toronto and Montréal performances (for out-of-town artists).
- Administrative mentorship and support.
When applying please include:
- Your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and website.
- A proposal for the new work that fulfills the KickStart criteria above (1 page max).
- A short biography or CV (1 page max.)
- A digital submission vimeo link of documentation of recent work. The Selection Committee will view 20 minutes max. Please do not submit highly edited promotional trailers.
- Contextual information about your video; title, credits, cueing notes, and how it represents your work (1 page max.)
Send your completed application package by November 30, 2018 by e-mail to email@example.com
Posted by: CanAsian Dance Festival
For more information: https://www.canasiandance.com/call-to-artists