Deadline: Friday October 9, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Born out of a desire to support more independent artists in a season where fewer performance opportunities exist, the Pilot Episodes initiative opens the door for nine choreographers to have their first experience working on the company ensemble. Co-facilitated by choreographer Tedd Robinson and TDT’s Artistic Director Andrew Tay, the project puts an emphasis on artistic risk taking, allowing creators to experiment without the pressure of having to create a finished work. 3 artists will be selected through an open call to participate in the Pilot Episodes project, joining 6 creators invited by artistic facilitators Tay and Robinson.
Deadline to apply is Friday October 9, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Full project details, dates, and application requirements can be found at tdt.org/call-to-artists-pilot-episodes
Each artist selected for the project will be given one week to explore their ideas on 9 of TDT’s company dancers. In addition, there will be several planned sessions with artistic facilitators Andrew Tay and Tedd Robinson. These “meet ups” will take the form of shared meals or casual hangouts, and will serve to encourage discussion and artistic reflection outside of the more formal studio working periods. Each selected participant will receive $1100 as an artistic fee for the week.
Over the course of this project, there will be showings and interviews streamed online in which audiences can learn about the choreographers’ journeys and discoveries.
Who should Apply?
- Independent artists who do not currently receive operational funding.
- Choreographers or artists from other disciplines who work with the body as part of their practice
- Artists interested in questioning their methods and how they are approaching choreography and performance.
- Artists interested in recognizing their habits and biases, who want to discover new tools for creation as well as hone their skills working with dancers and collaborators in the studio.
- Artists who may not normally have the chance to create work on a larger ensemble cast
- Priority given to artists based in Toronto or who have access to accommodation in the city and are willing to travel (the project does not provide travel or accommodation fees).
Posted by: Toronto Dance Theatre
For more information: https://tdt.org/call-to-artists-pilot-episodes