Deadline: September 1, 2020
GRIT: Short Dances
It takes a bit of grit under the shell of an oyster to seed the creation of a luminous pearl, and it is true grit, courage and resolve, that allows us to realize works of art.
Propose something you are curious about pursuing as a starting point for a short new dance work. Tell us a burning question or an idea, and an approach to dance-making that you feel will be generative in your research and dance-making. (Don’t worry about describing the dance in its final form, as we expect it will evolve through your creative process.)
- Propose a question or idea as a starting point for the creation of a short, 6 minute dance performance work.
- Integrate an Asian-based idea or practice*
- Open to dance creators from emerging to mid-career.
- Open to applicants of all races and cultural backgrounds.
* ‘Asian-based ideas and practices’ are broad terms and we interpret them liberally. Think philosophically, mathematically, astronomically, ancestrally, artisanally, geo-politically, paradigmatically, poetically, personally, behaviorally, socially, mindfully or critically. Consider power, processes, systems, structures, stories, songs, objects, artifacts and/or actions. Integrate with respect and perspective.
Successful applicants will receive
- A fee to help cover research and creation costs. (CADA rate)
- A performance opportunity** in Toronto in spring 2021.
- A performance fee. (CADA rate)
- 6 hours of dramaturgy and a facilitated feedback session.
- consideration for CanAsian’s KickStart commission and May 2022 performances.
** If physical/social distancing practices are extended in Toronto, live-performance resources will be converted to video production and on-line performance.
Submit your completed application by September 1, 2020
Posted by: CanAsian Dance
For more information: https://www.canasiandance.com/call-to-artists