Deadline: December 6, 2020 at 12PM EST (NOON)
Our transformative theatre outreach program for new immigrant and refugee artists returns with a stirring artistic exploration of belonging, erasure, and reclamation.
Guided by dynamic artistic facilitators Yolanda Bonnell and Shaista Latif, 10 new immigrant and refugee artists will come together for 16 weeks via Zoom. The program will conclude in a performance piece at Summerworks 2021.
We are interested in helping participants have a dialogue about their new realities without losing their connections to their homelands.
Participants will be exploring:
- Their relationship to land and Indigenous histories.
- The politics of translation and building an understanding of new political speech
- Recognizing how displacement and dispossession show up in our bodies and our languages
- Conversations to help articulate the complications of race and class
- Storytelling through embodied cultural practices
We are accepting submissions from new immigrant and refugee artists currently in Ontario 16-29. If you are over the age of 29 years of age and are interested in applying, please do so and we will still consider your application.
Crossing Gibraltar was originally created as a youth program, but due to the impact of COVID-19 we are expanding our age limits to include individuals outside the original age bracket.
Submissions will close on December 6, 2020 at 12PM EST (NOON).
Each participant in Crossing Gibraltar will receive $900 for participation in the program.
Learn more and apply below. If you need any help with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.