DEADLINE: JANUARY 15, 2018
Dancemakers is pleased to announce a call to artists for our Emerging Artist in Residence Program. This program grants up to 300 hours of studio access a year, on flexible scheduling, to a Toronto-based emerging artist working as a creator in dance over a two-year term. The artist will also be granted an honorarium each year (amount TBC pending funding results) and has the option to work with the Curator as an outside eye.
We are seeking proposals from artists in the early stages of their choreographic practice and should self-identify as emerging. This residency is not typically geared at artists brand new to a choreographic career but instead to artists who have their feet on the ground but not in the door: artists seeking a leg up to attain the next step in their practice. Artists who have an established professional practice as dancers and have recently transitioned into choreography will be considered.
Artists should have already undertaken a minimum of two professional presentations of work and be able to present a clear image of what they are interested in undertaking over their two-year term. The resident should be prepared to publicly share what they are working on as work-in-progress/informal showings or other formats as appropriate to the work.
Our incoming artist will begin their residency in September of 2018 and continue until June of 2020.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit the following:
- Artist statement (max 300 words)
- Please detail your current choreographic concerns, aesthetics, working context, and anything else you feel is relevant.
- Letter of intent (max 500 words)
- Describe what you are proposing to work on while in residence. It is not necessary to work on a single project, and works as both a creator and commissioning dancer will be considered; however, please note that preference will be given to artists submitting to work predominantly as a creator.
- Link to support material
- A maximum of five minutes of footage of recent works. Acceptable format: Vimeo, Youtube, etc. No file transfer links (such as Dropbox), please. If you feel that photography or web-based media best present your work please feel free to send those as well.
- Curriculum Vitae (max 2 pages)
- A letter of reference from an established or senior member of the community
Please send the completed materials as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Emerging Artist in Residence Application”
Midnight, January 15, 2018