Deadline: Wednesday, September 16th, 2020 at 5 pm ET
Take a leap towards becoming the next generation of leaders in Canada’s theatre community. Nightwood is thrilled to offer our Young Innovators (YI) Program digitally in the 2020-21 season – this year we are broadening the scope of the program by diving into both the producing and the artistry involved in running a theatre company. Whether a Young Innovator joins us as a born administrator, stage manager, designer, director, actor or playwright (or beyond), we aim to deepen their understanding of each dimension of professional theatre, opening them up to new complementary facets of their practice. Young Innovators are given the unique opportunity to forge connections with one another in a pivotal time in their careers, and ignite a lasting personal and professional relationship with Nightwood Theatre.
We are now accepting applications from theatre artists (directors, actors, designers, technicians, stage managers, arts managers, dramaturges, etc.) aged 18-30. The program will run from October to March of the 2020-21 season with most workshops and gatherings taking place during business hours on weekdays.
- Access to all of Nightwood’s digital and live programming
- Numerous hands-on producing workshops by Nightwood staff on marketing, outreach, fundraising, grant writing, networking and more
- Several artistic/production workshops by Nightwood staff and contracted artists on playwriting, dramaturgy, directing, and production management
- Programming and producing experience as YI’s curate and produce Fempocalypse: A Digital International Women’s Day Cabaret
- Observing a Write from the Hip new play development workshop before it’s publicly shared at the Groundswell Festival
- Regular gathering points for skill sharing, developing systems of support, and connecting to future collaborators, as well as opportunities to examine how we work, including conversations on self-authorship, creative stamina, and wellness
- Access to Nightwood staff for consultation
- A one-on-one session with Artistic Director Andrea Donaldson
- A $500 honourarium for participation
Please send a cover letter, your resume to email@example.com and a one-minute introduction video to meet you and hear about your practice (please submit using wetransfer.com). In your letter, we would love to hear about what areas of theatre you are most passionate about, how Nightwood could be helpful to you during this time, and what you are hoping to gain from this program.
As a feminist theatre company, Nightwood’s mandate is to foster greater gender equity in all aspects of theatre. With this in mind, we encourage applications from anyone that self-identifies as having lived experience that is touched by womanhood – this could include but is not limited to trans, cis, 2S and non-binary folks.
Applications are due Wednesday, September 16th, 2020 at 5 pm ET. Please reach out to us for any accessibility accommodations we can offer in support of your submission, and/or with any questions you may have.