Deadline: Friday, June 11, 2021
The 2022 Next Stage Theatre Festival will present a hybrid series of in-person and digital productions. The festival will take place January 19 - 30, 2022 and be presented at Daniels Spectrum’s Ada Slaight Hall and online at fringetoronto.com.
Artists may apply to the Theatre Performance Series and/or the Digital Performance Series.
50% of Shows to be from BIPOC Artists
The Toronto Fringe acknowledges that the history of the Fringe movement is rooted in a Canadian arts ecology that was built on whiteness and systemically prioritized white voices and audiences. To continue to live up to our core values and founding belief that every voice has an equal right to be heard, we must actively disarm conventionally accepted oppressive practices, and counteract systems of white supremacy that impact our sector. The festival has committed to programming at least 50% of the shows from artists who are Black, Indigenous, or Persons of Colour.
Who Are Next Stage Artists?
- Next Stage offers experienced indie producers a platform to showcase theatre and performing arts creators, writers, directors, performers in order to elevate a production or artist to a next level of recognition and/or development.
- Theatre Performance Series companies must reside in Toronto or the GTA. This is an exception for 2022 due to continued travel and accommodation restrictions that we anticipate due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Digital Performance Series companies do not have to be permanent residents of Canada.
- Applicants can submit new works, reworked projects and original adaptations and remounts of productions in order to significantly advance a project’s development. Productions of work by notable playwrights or of the ‘classics’ are not eligible.
- The selection jury commits to reserving at least 50% of production spots for artists who are Black, Indigenous, or Persons of Colour. Eligibility requirements must be met by the INDIVIDUAL APPLYING, unless otherwise specified. This person is referred to as the MAIN ADMIN CONTACT, and is considered by the Fringe Festival to be the primary producer of the show. They enter a binding agreement with the Festival upon acceptance of a slot.
How to Apply
You may find full details and a link to the application form on our website.
Cost to Apply
Pay What You Can. This year we are waiving the usual reading fee of $36. Applicants will have the option to add a donation at the time of application should they wish to.
Please submit your application by Friday, June 11, 2021. Please note, the final deadline to apply is Monday, June 14, 2021 by 11:59PM EDT. (We are suggesting Friday June 11th as a deadline to help conceptualize a buffer for those who may benefit from assistance with planning.)
If you require any further details or accessibility accommodations in order to submit your application, please contact Suzanne Wilkie at at email@example.com or 416-966-1062 ext 228, and we will assist you.