What is hipTIX?
- hipTIX is an exclusive ticket program for high school and university students aged 14 – 29.
- hipTIX makes theatre more affordable by offering $5 STUDENT TICKETS to Toronto’s hottest theatre, dance, comedy and opera productions!
- hipTIX is an active community program that partners with valued member companies of TAPA to collectively grow Toronto’s youth audiences by promoting exciting and affordable theatre experiences. By pairing $5 hipTIX with information about available education programs, students can experience the arts independently, gaining a unique perspective on the work being produced on Toronto’s stages.
- hipTIX lets students take charge of their own ticket buying process and encourages them to make the performing arts their entertainment option of choice for years to come.
I have never been to a live theatre performance outside of seeing them as part of a class field trip. I was never given the opportunity to see a show as a child since I lived in a low-income family and we couldn’t afford to go or to find time to attend. I am grateful for programs such as hipTIX and hipTIXplus which help students see high-end live performanceJudy Ngo
hipTIX is amazing! I've seen so many shows I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford and it has been incredible to feel included in the artistic communityMaria C Wodzinska
Best way for students to see theatre in Toronto at prices we can actually afford. It’s less than a pint, and lasts longer, too.Matthew J McGeachy
hipTIX and hipTIXplus are programs operated by TAPA, The Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts.
hipTIX is generously sponsored and supported by the following financial partners:
FREE Student Workshop: Theatre Careers
Official Educational Partner of the Toronto District School Board
Workshops are flexible and 100% FREE.
Suitable for Grades 9 -12.
Working in the performing arts is a viable career option! This presentation and interactive discussion aims to inform students of the performing arts industry opportunities which are available to students in the Toronto Area. Various careers are described by a theatre professional. And, along with a Q&A, topics such as the following are presented and discussed:
- Why theatre?
- What it’s like to live and work as an artist.
- Talent Agents,
- Professional Standards,
- Real-world experiences working in theatre.
- Remuneration – how do I get paid to perform?
- Access to hipTIX for students. ($5 tix for 14-29 yrs)
- Programs for students in Toronto NOW.
- Volunteer hours – opportunities with theatres!
- Post-secondary training (Theatre Schools).
- Questions from students about related topics they wish to explore.
- Thought-provoking discussion on value & social impact of performing arts and how to remove perceived barriers to participation.
- Increasing access to resources & opportunities for experiencing/ participating in professional performing arts activities outside of school environment.
- Exploring career options and employability within the performing arts sector.
Flexible. Recommended 60 mins to allow for discussion/ Q&A.
- up to full class period, minimum 30 mins
- Projector & computer with internet are preferred. CAN work without; best if available.