Vision: TAPA is the voice of theatre, dance and opera in Toronto.
Mission: To nurture an environment in which theatre, dance and opera may flourish and play a leadership role in the vitality of the City of Toronto. The Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts:
- Unites the disciplines of theatre, dance, and opera to celebrate and strengthen the performing arts in Toronto;
- Promotes and advocates on behalf of a large and diverse membership of professional performing arts practitioners, to legislators, public and private sector funding bodies, and to the general public;
- Provides marketing opportunities and professional development services to its membership.
Core Beliefs: TAPA is a champion of theatre, dance and opera.
- TAPA exists because it has the power to speak with one voice in order to improve the environment for all theatre/performing arts in Toronto.
- TAPA believes that a city is enriched by participation in culture.
- TAPA builds community and partnerships.
- TAPA is a relevant and effective organization that believes:
- We need to be bold strategically and collaboratively
- We need to reassess our programs and services continually in order to determine if they support the development of a healthier environment and serve the membership.
- TAPA values flexibility and fluidity as core strengths.
- TAPA responds to opportunities and situations in a positive way.
Working Values: Defining the Culture of TAPA
In everything TAPA undertakes we work to be fair, open, transparent and honest. TAPA builds networks, community and partnership
- TAPA plans for growth and moves forward.
- TAPA invests in human resources in order to achieve organizational objectives.
- The Board serves as a collaborative problem solving group.
- TAPA believes in organizational learning and is open to new knowledge, in not being tied to apparent strictures or perceived barriers.
- TAPA aims to provide a wide range of programs and services that meet the disparate need of our diverse membership.
Health and Safety Commitment Policy
TAPA and its Board of Directors are committed to ensuring and protecting the health and safety of its most valuable resource: its people. We make every effort to provide its employees, contracted personnel, customers, visitors and volunteers with a safe and healthy work environment, while continuously striving to eliminate any identified hazard that might result in injury to people or damage to property.
This commitment will be fulfilled through our Health and Safety policies and procedures as articulated in the TAPA Workplace Harassment Policy and the TAPA Workplace Violence Policy which are in compliance with all applicable federal and provincial legislation. These policies and procedures will be reviewed periodically to ensure their ongoing effectiveness.
Health and safety is a shared commitment. It is everyone’s responsibility to recognize hazards in the workplace, to protect their own safety while they are working in the office, and to respect the health and safety policies of the organization. A number of security measures are in place at 401 Richmond: on-call security staff, regular foot and car patrols, and cameras in selected areas of the building. The main entrances to the building are locked at 7:00 pm.
401 Richmond has a fire plan in place for the building. TAPA has an assigned Fire Warden and Assistant Fire Warden for our suite 350. These people are responsible for ensuring that anyone working in our office space evacuates the building and goes to the designated assembly area in the event of an alarm. They will also alert fire fighters or other building designates if someone was unable to leave the building and requires assistance. We have fire extinguishers readily available, and we understand how to operate them, and they are serviced and checked regularly.
In addition, TAPA considers it part of its mandate to inform its members of their responsibility to embrace, implement and enforce Health and Safety policies and procedures within their respective theatres and work-spaces.
At TAPA, the safety of the public, our volunteers and anyone who works at and for TAPA is important. Health and safety will take priority in all areas of the theatre, and there is no task so urgent that it cannot be completed safely. Through continuous, cooperative and joint efforts, a positive climate will be created, and health and safety goals will be achieved.